Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Cover Scent LIE

Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I myself have tried scent blocker before just for my boots, but I realize it is most likely all a gimmick and marketing scheme. When I was little we went straight from doing chores to hunting at night and in the morning we just wore whatever was warm and had more luck then than now. I don't think that most of the examples of those who are scent blocker nazi's really mean anything whatsoever because most of them are examples of getting close to deer..I have been with in a couple yards of 3 deer last week at my house while in my school clothes with cologne and deodarant on while sitting perched up in a tree to scout. I think these 500 dollar scent blocker suits Ive heard about are absolutely insane, save your money and worry about how you hunt.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

This is quite the debate we have here.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always said cover scent is a crock of bull. However, I do like to keep clean if I can and keep the foreign odors down. I always play the wind but it seems to swirl and shift in the hills and hollows where I hunt. This makes it tough to hunt. Also just getting to my hunting spot is tough without leaving scent for deer to spook. The best I can do is not over hunt it and use the wind the best I can. The deers nose is something special and not to be taken lightly.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

My scent control involves climbing high and playing the wind. My Dad purchased some 99% last year and gave me a bottle. I told him to save his money but he insisted so I sprayed myself down, walked into the woods making sure the wind was in my favor, climb my tree to 20-25 feet and saw deer all day.

He asked how it worked, told him I saw lots of deer but no more or less than what I saw yesterday.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I am new to hunting and have not bought into all the high dollar stuff but I do like washing my gear in the scent free detergents before I go out each time. But I think what I've learned so far is that the wind is king and that little movement movement is queen. The gimmick stuff are the court jesters. I do use the Doe pee Buck Bomb stuff to get them curious it seems to have at least that effect on the does. I've been busted because they have seen me in the dark or heard me and the wind has shifted on me once. Got in OK this past monday by staying out of the open fields with good moonlight to help them see me. I built a nice ground blind 100 yards from where I park and get in it quickly. Great to here some input on this issue,keep it coming.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the real question is not do scent blocking sprays and clothing work, but are your chances EXACTLY THE SAME if a) you smell like a big, hot heaping pile of human crap, or b) have taken reasonable precautions to reduce your scent?

Nothing beats the sound advice of playing the wind and learning all you can about how it carries scent. But I would have a hard time believing that reducing your scent doesn't matter at all. Perhaps the stronger the odor or the more foreign odor a deer smells, the more alarmed or on a alert they might be (or just completely spooked). Whichever path you take to GET INTO the woods or your stand, etc, most of the time you aren't going to be able to look back and SEE every inch you walked on the way in. What if a deer crosses your path...one that you MIGHT get a shot at sooner or later that day...and picks up a mild human scent? Or what if they pick up a very strong human scent plus other foreign scents? I just don't know if I believe that their reaction would be the SAME either way.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I think the real question is not do scent blocking sprays and clothing work, but are your chances EXACTLY THE SAME if a) you smell like a big, hot heaping pile of human crap, or b) have taken reasonable precautions to reduce your scent?

Nothing beats the sound advice of playing the wind and learning all you can about how it carries scent. But I would have a hard time believing that reducing your scent doesn't matter at all. Perhaps the stronger the odor or the more foreign odor a deer smells, the more alarmed or on a alert they might be (or just completely spooked). Whichever path you take to GET INTO the woods or your stand, etc, most of the time you aren't going to be able to look back and SEE every inch you walked on the way in. What if a deer crosses your path...one that you MIGHT get a shot at sooner or later that day...and picks up a mild human scent? Or what if they pick up a very strong human scent plus other foreign scents? I just don't know if I believe that their reaction would be the SAME either way.

Exactly. No one will ever convince me that precaution doesn't help.

I'm not going to spend $500 on a scent-lock suit, but I do take precautions. I try to shower before hunting, and I don't use any soap or deoderant (don't normally sweat too much anyway). I keep all my hunting clothes in a tupperware with plant material.

Maybe it makes a difference, maybe it doesn't. I think it does. But given the fact that I have to drive about an hour each way and invest an entire evening or morning to hunt, I am going to take the little extra precautions.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
If it is contrasting enough, why not? What DO they see? They have to see well enough or they'd be stumbling through the woods like morons. I guarantee you that if you are standing against a tree in a single solid color and I'm standing against a tree in ASAT, the deer will make you out first.
Woah! Back up Jack, I like that!

I'm on the 3rd page and had to reply now, but I'll go back and finish and maybe later share some more truth.

I've been using ASAT since almost when they came out. Quarter Master Brigade! Stuff works and there isn't a person on this planet that can get me to think otherwise.

Hey, but I'll throw something out now... One man's 45 years out in the woods may not be someone else's 20 years if the 20 year hunter has been hunting more days of each year than the other. I know what it's like being in the woods trying to kill deer for over a 100 days in a single season. Now that's a lot longer than someone's 14 day deer season somewhere else! That's equivalent to his 1 year to my 7 years.

One person's time in the woods may not be as productive as another who has spent the same amount of time. I don't mean the kill, but the ability to absorb everything around and learn from it.

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Woah! Back up Jack, I like that!

I'm on the 3rd page and had to reply now, but I'll go back and finish and maybe later share some more truth.

I've been using ASAT since almost when they came out. Quarter Master Brigade! Stuff works and there isn't a person on this planet that can get me to think otherwise.

Hey, but I'll throw something out now... One man's 45 years out in the woods may not be someone else's 20 years if the 20 year hunter has been hunting more days of each year than the other. I know what it's like being in the woods trying to kill deer for over a 100 days in a single season. Now that's a lot longer than someone's 14 day deer season somewhere else! That's equivalent to his 1 year to my 7 years.

One person's time in the woods may not be as productive as another who has spent the same amount of time. I don't mean the kill, but the ability to absorb everything around and learn from it.

iSnipe
If your talking about being in the woods longer than I have, I would have to say that unless you work in the woods like I do there is no possible way Cause I'm out there working minimum 300 days a year and have been for the last 30 years and started hunting 15 years before that, thats 10 years to your 0 and I know you didn't start going out at birth. I hunt, fish and trap every day of every season. So in the experience department I've got your 20 years beat hands down I was out there doing this before you were ever thought of. If you've only been hunting 20 years.
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-15-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Doug, your on the computer all day everyday. Not in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.