Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Cover Scent LIE

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Since he brushed the topic in his initial post, I don't see why we can't hit both at the same time.

I think that NOT BEING BUSTED BY MOVEMENT is number one, no questions asked. However, lets say you are still-hunting and are in open timber and you are spotted by a deer while holding tight. REGARDLESS of what you are wearing (assuming the deer is in familiar territory), the deer is going to notice that SOMETHING is out of place, and will check you out thoroughly. Now, one thing is for sure, is that they are not going to mistake you for a Real Tree, lol. But if you are wearing solid clothing (or camo that looks solid from more than a few yards away), I feel like the deer are MUCH more likely to make you out as a HUMAN than they would be if you were wearing camo that actually BREAKS UP YOUR OUTLINE (ASAT, Predator).

You're not really going to find a set of hunting worthy clothes without camo for any less than you can buy a cotton pair of ASAT bibs and jacket. Call me silly, but if I'm spending the money to stay warm, etc anyway, I might as well spend it on something that has a better chance of breaking up my outline than not.
That's a good point, I don't believe a deer can see the patten on your clothes. I do not believe any kind of camo clothing breaks up your outline other than something like a ghillie suit and it's not because of the color it's because it is constructed in a way to hide your outline and blend into your natural surroundings. Your outline is your outline no matter what clothes you have on. Blending into your surroundings is the only way to go undetected UNLESS the deer are not paying attention. I think I will get some Sponge Bob pj's and film myself killing a deer in them with a bow at 20 yrds under natural fair chase conditions. Would you pay to see that? LOL I have to add that camo only makes US think we are hid!
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-12-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

#1- I don't believe that cover scents work
#2- I think that doing things to help reduce your scent work (i.e. rubber boots, stepping in a creek or cow crap, not washing your clothes in tide)
#3- The golden rule is to hunt with your face in the wind. PERIOD. And being aware of you entry and exit with reguards to the wind.
#4- Scent blocker suits and sprays and special soaps and gum and all that is just crap. It may help a little but not for the amount of money you spend on it
#5- Camo helps if you are perfectly still and it is good camo that blend to exactly where you are sitting (not likely). Even if you are in a ghillie suit made of stuff you are laying in and you snap your head 90 degrees to see something, bye bye deer most likely.
#6- I really liked that article even though it was a little long and went back and forth
#7- If you believe everything you read on here you are a tard, but its good for entertainment! hahaha
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBgydeR9I70
This is hunting and if you watch the whole 9 minutes you will see very little camo. With camo being available why would hunting Great Fred Bear choose not to wear it much? On this footage you can watch Fred bow kill a huge Alaskan Kodiak bear from behind a rock! Although Fred did have on a camo jacket at that time I think it was more for wind protection and staying warm than it was to break up his outline. Just my opinion! You can decide. Here is the point how fun would hunting be if you knew all you had to do was walk out into the woods or fields wearing whatever you had on and not get DRESSED UP to go, put paint all over your face, and spray yourself down with hundreds of products and go through the rituals some do to go hunting. If all you had to do was Play the wind, be still and quiet and you could kill a deer. No fancy clothes, fancy bows, scent control,and all the other gadgets they try to push on the hunting community. That would take all the fun out of hunting. But really that's all there is to it. It's really just that simple.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Spike

i completely understand everyones opinions about scent control and non scent control. I myself was my clothes regularly, use scent free soap to wash with, and use a scent eliminator (my brother does the same). I can tell you first hand just that twice this year we had a couple does within 10 yards of myself and my brother. we were both on the ground. the does knew something wasnt quite just right but they were never spooked or alarmed. they ended up just walking away. on the other hand i hunt with my brother in law alot. he is a stong believer that scent control does not matter. he never washes his hunting clothes and sometimes uses a spray on a scent eliminator. him and i have been out numerous times this year so far. mostly in our treestands atleast 20 ft at a minimum. we have yet to have any deer come within 60 yards of us. when we are in the car i can litteraly smell his hunting clothes and if i can smell them you cant surely bet the deer can smell them. i dont complain about his scent control by any means i respect his opinion and he respects mine. so if you ask me scent control acts a huge part on how close you get to deer. deer are going to smell you no matter what, but how much they smell you determines how close they get and feel comfortable around you. if they smell you just a little bit they dont feel you as such a big treat. but if your odor is strong they are going to keep their distance.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by apache7051
i completely understand everyones opinions about scent control and non scent control. I myself was my clothes regularly, use scent free soap to wash with, and use a scent eliminator (my brother does the same). I can tell you first hand just that twice this year we had a couple does within 10 yards of myself and my brother. we were both on the ground. the does knew something wasnt quite just right but they were never spooked or alarmed. they ended up just walking away. on the other hand i hunt with my brother in law alot. he is a stong believer that scent control does not matter. he never washes his hunting clothes and sometimes uses a spray on a scent eliminator. him and i have been out numerous times this year so far. mostly in our treestands atleast 20 ft at a minimum. we have yet to have any deer come within 60 yards of us. when we are in the car i can litteraly smell his hunting clothes and if i can smell them you cant surely bet the deer can smell them. i dont complain about his scent control by any means i respect his opinion and he respects mine. so if you ask me scent control acts a huge part on how close you get to deer. deer are going to smell you no matter what, but how much they smell you determines how close they get and feel comfortable around you. if they smell you just a little bit they dont feel you as such a big treat. but if your odor is strong they are going to keep their distance.
Welcome aboard! Glad you could join us! We are just having fun here. Stick around we might just be getting warmed up! But I can tell you that scent control products play NO part of how close I get to deer, and I get close! Good luck this season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
That's a good point, I don't believe a deer can see the patten on your clothes. I do not believe any kind of camo clothing breaks up your outline other than something like a ghillie suit and it's not because of the color it's because it is constructed in a way to hide your outline and blend into your natural surroundings. Your outline is your outline no matter what clothes you have on. Blending into your surroundings is the only way to go undetected UNLESS the deer are not paying attention. I think I will get some Sponge Bob pj's and film myself killing a deer in them with a bow at 20 yrds under natural fair chase conditions. Would you pay to see that? LOL I have to add that camo only makes US think we are hid!
Live it up! Doug
If it is contrasting enough, why not? What DO they see? They have to see well enough or they'd be stumbling through the woods like morons. I guarantee you that if you are standing against a tree in a single solid color and I'm standing against a tree in ASAT, the deer will make you out first.

And don't lie. WE KNOW YOU ARE WEARING SPONGE BOB PJ'S RIGHT NOW!!! Like you have to go "get" some. Ha!!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

I am with you Doug. First, cover scents don't cover anything. Dogs can track a person through all different scents and I am sure deer can too. If you put fox pee on your boot, they smell you and a fox.

As for scent blocker clothing and sprays, I don't buy into those either. People smoke, drink coffee, eat, etc while wearing their hunting clothing and that clothing absorbs all of those smells. So even if a scent blocker suit can block smells from internally, it isn't going to block the smells on the outer layer. Also, the sprays claim to kill human odor, not food and drink odor.

Hunting the wind is the only sure bet and it is free.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Spike

Sent control is the biggest black eye in hunting. It is without a doubt a waste of money. I am a guide and I hunt almost every day of bow season. I use no sent control I kill big bucks every year and sometimes they even come from downwind. Don’t waste your time or money with it. It does not work. Or don’t believe me listen to the people on the hunting shows that make money off you by hunting in pens and telling you if you just had a $1000 carbon suite $20 detergent $100 bag to transport your gear and $20 spray. You could kill big bucks like them. Sorry for the rage but when you see thousands of people getting ripped off it makes me mad.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
If it is contrasting enough, why not? What DO they see? They have to see well enough or they'd be stumbling through the woods like morons. I guarantee you that if you are standing against a tree in a single solid color and I'm standing against a tree in ASAT, the deer will make you out first.

And don't lie. WE KNOW YOU ARE WEARING SPONGE BOB PJ'S RIGHT NOW!!! Like you have to go "get" some. Ha!!
SHHHHHHHH (whispering) Don't tell anyone about my sponge Bobs! But the question still stands would you PAY to see it?
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by moducks38
Sent control is the biggest black eye in hunting. It is without a doubt a waste of money. I am a guide and I hunt almost every day of bow season. I use no sent control I kill big bucks every year and sometimes they even come from downwind. Don’t waste your time or money with it. It does not work. Or don’t believe me listen to the people on the hunting shows that make money off you by hunting in pens and telling you if you just had a $1000 carbon suite $20 detergent $100 bag to transport your gear and $20 spray. You could kill big bucks like them. Sorry for the rage but when you see thousands of people getting ripped off it makes me mad.
Welcome to the community! Glad to have you!

I'd say the jury is in and the verdict is scent control DOES NOT WORK! Now your hearing it from a guide and he makes a living from hunting and a pretty loud statement about what the hunting industry vendors want you to purchase. They will tell you, you MUST have it because there is BIG money hocking all the products. You could easily spend $1500.00 dollars on CRAP you don't need. But ultimately it's your money! Thanks moducks!
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-12-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.