Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In and out?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default In and out?

What I consider to be one of the most important factors of a succesful morning or evening hunt is what time's you arrive. How early do you guys get to your stands? I get to my stand right as there is barely enough light to see to walk to my stand, I cant stand not seeing where im going and I dont like using a flashlight to alert all the animals that im there. What times do you go out for a night hunt? How do you get to your stand flash light or no flash light? etc, etc.

Considering taking new strategy this year, so looking forward to hear what you guys do.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in stand at least 20 minutes before it gets light. I have found that by walking the travel route to and from before season a time or 2 helps with the use or not with a light. I have to walk a 1/2 mile to my get away stand and that includes through a swamp/mud thicket. If I need a light, I use the new hat bill mounted one that comes in greena and I have seen deer walk right up to me with the wind on their back to almost 5 yds before they realize their mistake.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

I am in 15 to 20 minutes before it starts to get light,I dont think deer are afraid of a flashlight.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not saying the deer are afraid of the light, but other animals may be and I dont want to change the environment that was there before I arrived if that makes sense.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mohunter09
I'm not saying the deer are afraid of the light, but other animals may be and I dont want to change the environment that was there before I arrived if that makes sense.
Yea makes perfect sinse to me thats why i dont like using one either. but i try to be in my stand ready 20-30min for the crack of daylight and i get in my stand around 2 in afternoon(when it gets dark around 530) and i stay till dark.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

Well from what you guys have said so far rather than waiting til it starts to get light I should be out 20-30 before it starts to get light. I have been succesful in every situation mentioned but this year I am going for a big buck. Haven't had a buck unless you count the large spike I shot, had about a dozen doe's and 3 spikes..time for a big guy. Hunting from a ladder stand this year too.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Spike

Using a flashlight is a whole lot better than getting fired at from another hunter who is creeping through the woods, or happened to have reached a stand before you have. I dont think deer are bothered by a low power light, but getting shot bothers me!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

90% of my bucks taken in morning have been just at shooting time or later around 9-10 A.M. I like to get i my stand atleast 1/2 hr b-4 legal time and stay till 9:30. most other hunters get board by 8 and start walking around.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

As far as the flashlight deal goes...try a red lensed flashlight. Its used for the same idea in the military - does not give off a solid beam of light, doesnt screw up your night vision, very hard to see unless looking straight at it, and even harder for an animal such as a deer. I have a LED one and can see great while still sneakin right in on top of 'em.

Last edited by schester14; 10-12-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I've found that using a flashlight is better than crashing around in the brush that you can't see, assuming you're going cross country and not walking down a clear trail. I either use a small hat-mounted light, or aim a small LED light immediately in front of me. If you're illuminating a small spot 3 feet in front of you, it's hardly visible from more than a few yards away. After all, there's no need to shine it up ahead into the woods 50 yards in front of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.