HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   cover scent on boots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/331637-cover-scent-boots.html)

david33 10-11-2010 06:49 AM

cover scent on boots

which cover scent would you use when walking in and if hunting on ground, fox urine or doe pee? Also, after you spray your boots before you start walking how long/far does it last.

kswild 10-11-2010 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3699981)
which cover scent would you use when walking in and if hunting on ground, fox urine or doe pee? Also, after you spray your boots before you start walking how long/far does it last.

None......No need!
Live it up! Doug

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-11-2010 08:45 AM

Fresh apples - stompped in a tub or red cherry's or what ever food source that is available in the area.

Most people I know wears rubber boots when they archery hunt.

So the only scent that they have on their boots is the smells from their animals, their house, their automobile etc...

SJAdventures 10-11-2010 09:49 AM

I use fox pee because it is cheaper and I buy it by the gallon jug and then put it in a spritzer bottle. I have used a lot of fox pee as a cover scent for many. many, years. I also use rubber boots if at all possible.

Patrick Eubanks 10-11-2010 11:14 AM

Doug,
You have to realize that not everyone hunts where you hunt and conditions are different regionally.
Deer here where I hunt will bust you from your scent trail going into the stand. Its already happened to me this year. Im not hunting year old does from a ground blind in 20 MPH wind. If you leave a scent trail in these cut downs you are busted.
To answer the question, I wear rubber boots and try and wash them in a ditch on the way into the stand. When rut kicks in I will use estrous pee on the heel of my boot.
Good Luck

supaflav 10-11-2010 11:25 AM

I would personally use scent-a-way or one of the other products like it. You'll be better off smelling like nothing, rather that smelling like a fox that has a bladder problem. JMO.

kswild 10-11-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks (Post 3700184)
Doug,
You have to realize that not everyone hunts where you hunt and conditions are different regionally.
Deer here where I hunt will bust you from your scent trail going into the stand. Its already happened to me this year. Im not hunting year old does from a ground blind in 20 MPH wind. If you leave a scent trail in these cut downs you are busted.
To answer the question, I wear rubber boots and try and wash them in a ditch on the way into the stand. When rut kicks in I will use estrous pee on the heel of my boot.
Good Luck

Patrick I have hunted all over the USA! Bow Hunted some of the toughest conditions and did not worry about scent control. Played the wind, patterned the deer, set up, be still and quite and killed deer. This works for me. If you want or need to use scent control do it. The OP's question was which scent would you use walking in. I answered truthfully. The does at 10 yrd vid was to show beginners you can get close to deer in any condition. FYI I was not hunting them or you would have seen the kill shot! Thanks and have a great season!
Live it up! Doug

jrbsr 10-11-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3699981)

I always heard you Do Not put doe urin on you any where, because a buck or doe will attack you.
I have seen videos of deer attacking, hunters with doe urin, on them.

JMHO

jerrrrstanley 10-11-2010 01:20 PM

I step in cow piles on the way to the stand. Or, walk to a cow pie and step in it then go in the other direction to my stand. If you don't have cow pies then i say just some mud or dirt or pine needles or something natural.

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-11-2010 01:27 PM

Um,
I have heard it both ways. On the one hand, some people thinks that if a deer smells a Fox in the woods that they will not be scared because a Fox will not enter a area unless it is safe.
On the other hand, I have seen Fox running beside a major highway in the middle of the winter when the snow was too deep to walk though the drifts - searching for road kills along the highway.

The other thing is - if you were a deer, and you lived in a one square mile area, and you knew every deer in that one square mile area, anytime something different came into your area - you would know about it pretty quick - as soon as you smelled it.

A hot doe to a prime buck might smell like fried chicken to you and me, but if the buck was spooked, it might become a warning sign to that deer that you have returned to your stand.

To me a cover scent has nothing to do with deer lure.

You could take a bath in deer pee and never see a buck for as much as it means to me. It all has to do with catching the urine of a doe in heat, which only happens once a month, starting in the fall - when ever your deer begins to rut. The doe will continue to go in heat once a month for every month after that until she is impregnated or dries up.

The only pee that means anything to me is the pee from the month that the bucks goes in rut. Because in my opinion - that is the month that it is probably the stinkiest and some unscrupulous deer breeders probably mixes pee from all times of the year to get a higher yield.
That pee would be of little value to me.

Now if I was a deer and I smelled corn or apples or acorns - I would come running.

kswild 10-11-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley (Post 3700252)
I step in cow piles on the way to the stand. Or, walk to a cow pie and step in it then go in the other direction to my stand. If you don't have cow pies then i say just some mud or dirt or pine needles or something natural.

That is very good advice! Because all that stuff you guys are spraying, dipping, and washing you and your hunting gear in is unnatural to a deer. Even scents like all the animal urine, the amounts your are putting on are not natural to deer. If you are heard or seen before a deer comes into range, no amount of scent control products are going to change the outcome you'll get busted. The whole idea is not to cover your scent because that is not possible, BUT to have the deer come into range BEFORE it scent's you, sees you, or hears you!
Live it up! Doug

Kybuckhunter 10-11-2010 01:50 PM

Fairy dust will work as good as anything......You can't cover scents period. If a little mud or pine scent could cover your scent then they couldnt smell you when you walk on dirt or pine needles. Or a does track when it crosses a corn field. Just think how little scent you put off compared to all the scents in the outdoors. A deer can smell you because they smell on the molecular level...not on which scent is strongest.

I try to not cross a deers path on my walk in and I hunt the wind. The area I hunt is hard to get to without bumping deer because it's a thick bedding area. A deers nose is very hard to fool. I plan every hunt on the wind direction and will not hunt if I can't get the wind I need. If they can't get your scent you have half the battle won but don't think you can fool them with a squirt pee or dirt smell.

kswild 10-12-2010 05:34 AM

Here is a bit of truth for ya! Over the years people in the hunting industry that sell "scent control products" have convinced hunters that you NEED to do all this stuff that involves using their products to be successful hunting. They have done their job well because as you can tell from this thread hunters now-days believe you NEED this stuff or your are not going to successfully kill your intended game animal. While anyone who spends time in the field (and I don't mean 4 hrs a couple of days a weekend) Know the truth. I wish Fred Bear was still around to be able to tell people the truth. If you watch footage of the founding fathers of hunting you will not see them spraying, dipping, or washing with any scent control products. Heck they didn't even have camo! And some of the trophy animals they took are still records today! You guys have blown this scent control thing way out of proportion. It's all about making money and some of you are buying into this lie. You can flame me if you want saying I only hunt a certain area or whatever else you want to say about me but the truth is that if you are being busted by game animals it is because you are doing something else WRONG like not playing the wind, or being seen or heard.... instead of worrying about animals smelling you change your hunting tactics, sneak, stealth, ambush, the element surprise, know the animal and how it lives,what it does where it eats, sleeps. Because I'll tell you the truth you can go out in your sponge BOB pj's after not showering for a month and if you know how to HUNT you'll kill and animal. This is the truth we need as hunters need to keep alive. Not all this scent control crap! Now say what you will.
Live it up! Doug

SteveBNy 10-12-2010 06:26 AM

Some of the sprays can REDUCE the scent.

Some scents will possibly work as an antractrant.

NOTHING - pees, cow poop, apples (attractant) can hide or cover any scent from a deer.

kswild 10-12-2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3700739)
Some of the sprays can REDUCE the scent.

Some scents will possibly work as an antractrant.

NOTHING - pees, cow poop, apples (attractant) can hide or cover any scent from a deer.

Your right and what I say about scent has nothing to do with lures and attractants. Which may or may not work, depending on the hunting situation. What I talk about is strictly about trying to cover human scent. Thanks!
Live it up! Doug

DougE 10-12-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter (Post 3700054)
Fresh apples - stompped in a tub or red cherry's or what ever food source that is available in the area.

So the only scent that they have on their boots is the smells from their animals, their house, their automobile etc...

That would be illegal in Pa.

kswild 10-12-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by DougE (Post 3700778)
That would be illegal in Pa.

LOL! Now that's a good one.
Live it up! Doug

SavageArms 10-12-2010 09:03 AM

Well when i hunt in the early season i really try to not to put anything on and as one of the users stated stepping in cow piles is a good idea if and only if cows are in the area. When i know my clothes scent is getting noticeable i throw activated carbon in a bag and let them set all night the for next morning hunt and top that off with a little rabbit raccoon, or fox urine you gotta mix it up or they will get wise to you especially if you have been busted by the deer. Please note if you use a rabbit scent you are inviting danger as that urine is a pry animal for the bobcat, coyote and fox. So if you use this be very aware that you maybe inviting danger but it should be a good show if nothing else. The point is do not use doe urine or intruder buck urine in the early season as you will have destroyed you chance to get anything. I know this from experience i tried it one year as an experiment and did not see a damn thing in the early season. Reason Does will be chased out of the area by bucks if you wear doe scent because there are not in heat yet and the scent gets bucks riled up.

ADVWannabee 10-12-2010 10:39 AM

If you use fox pee on your boots deer will smell you and a fox. There is not such thing as a "cover" scent, deer can pick out multiple scents. For example, you smell vegetable soup, deer smell peas, carrots, potatoes and beans.

Do you think a dog can't track you if you have a "cover" scent? Of course he can and so can deer.

GregH 10-12-2010 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3700739)

I believe that you are wrong about this one. A few years ago I was hunting my buddy's dairy farm. I'd get there early and hang around BSing with him while he was milking cows before heading out to my stand. I noticed that while hunting one of my stands over looking an alfalfa field, that does I did not intend to shoot would pick up on my entrance trail. At the time my favorite boots were getting worn out and started leaking. I replaced them with an identicle pair. The next thing I noticed was that the deer were not picking up my entry trails any more.

I believe that by getting rid of the leaks by replacing my boots I had prevented scent from inside my boots from hitting the ground. Also, from standing around a cow "poop" laden barn, I had a cover scent that the deer weren't concerned with. I've been doing this for going on 3 years now and the deer just aren't picking up my trail.

Cow poop works.

stabnslab_WI 10-12-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter (Post 3700054)

Your joking right? Fresh apples? Do you take your boots off before you get into your tree. Do you want the deer to look up at you?

jerrrrstanley 10-12-2010 12:05 PM

I am a firm believer in the cow poop! I know that they can still smell more than one scent but I think it does alot better than fox pee or raccoon pee or anyother pee. That much pee is unnatural. I don't hunt in the middle of the pasture but only about 100 yards from it. I still circle around and come into the wind and not across any trails to get to my stands. I have had deer with thier nose to the ground trail me to the tree I was in and not be the least bit concerned with it. Maybe they smelled my scent and didn't care. Maybe they only smelled cow crap. WHO KNOWS!?!?! All I know is they didn't bolt, or freeze, or snort, or stomp, they just kept on walking. And even if stepping in crap doesn't work at least it is free!!!! hahaha

SavageArms 10-13-2010 06:27 PM

Ok i have said it once and i will say it again if you wear estrus during early season hunting you will hinder your hunting. I will promise you, you will see more deer if you wear a cover sent other than estrus during early season. If you wear estrus yeah you might see one or maybe two but after you get done pushing the does out of the area the bucks will follow and then when everyone that hunts that area gets pissed maybe you will get the point. the best time to use estrus is the heat of the rut but you can use it during the beginning rut like three or four days into the rut in your areas. Although i am sure kswild could probably walk out in the woods with piss rolling down his leg after tying on a three day drunk and bag a 12 point monster.

kswild 10-13-2010 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SavageArms (Post 3701926)
Ok i have said it once and i will say it again if you wear estrus during early season hunting you will hinder your hunting. I will promise you, you will see more deer if you wear a cover sent other than estrus during early season. If you wear estrus yeah you might see one or maybe two but after you get done pushing the does out of the area the bucks will follow and then when everyone that hunts that area gets pissed maybe you will get the point. the best time to use estrus is the heat of the rut but you can use it during the beginning rut like three or four days into the rut in your areas. Although i am sure kswild could probably walk out in the woods with piss rolling down his leg after tying on a three day drunk and bag a 12 point monster.

Prolly if I drank..... But here is the 15 point I took last year!
Live it up! Doug

SavageArms 10-13-2010 06:42 PM

Here is the main idea guys hunting is all common since. Now you ask what do i mean? If you do not want to worry about cover scents play the wind know where the deer will be coming from and get down wind. if you do not want to sit in a tree stand all morning with out seeing a thing do your homework that means get out early and see where the food, water, deer sign, and bedding areas are in your hunting areas, and play them to allow for maximum deer exposure. Know and clear your shooting lanes good rule of thumb here is clear high watch them die clear low watch them go, deer notice when their surroundings change so try to clear limbs and leaves high not low. And last but not least be patient remember the next four and half hours might be the most awesome story you get this season. Especially if it is your first archery deer.

SavageArms 10-13-2010 06:45 PM

Yeah i give you major props sir, you know what you are doing and you seem like salt. I did not mean any disrespect at all i just meant some people have the experience and know how to get the job done under any circumstance.

kswild 10-13-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SavageArms (Post 3701937)
Here is the main idea guys hunting is all common since. Now you ask what do i mean? If you do not want to worry about cover scents play the wind know where the deer will be coming from and get down wind. if you do not want to sit in a tree stand all morning with out seeing a thing do your homework that means get out early and see where the food, water, deer sign, and bedding areas are in your hunting areas, and play them to allow for maximum deer exposure. Know and clear your shooting lanes good rule of thumb here is clear high watch them die clear low watch them go, deer notice when their surroundings change so try to clear limbs and leaves high not low. And last but not least be patient remember the next four and half hours might be the most awesome story you get this season. Especially if it is your first archery deer.

All is very good advice! Have a great season!
Live it up! Doug

7.62NATO 10-13-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by kswild (Post 3701930)
Prolly if I drank..... But here is the 15 point I took last year!
Live it up! Doug

Is that...camo????

kswild 10-13-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3701957)
Is that...camo????

Yea but I'm not using it to hide!!!! And that's Blaze Orange too. It could have been sponge Bob pj's just as easy! LOL
Live it up! Doug