Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cover scent on boots

Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Spike

Default cover scent on boots

which cover scent would you use when walking in and if hunting on ground, fox urine or doe pee? Also, after you spray your boots before you start walking how long/far does it last.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by david33
which cover scent would you use when walking in and if hunting on ground, fox urine or doe pee? Also, after you spray your boots before you start walking how long/far does it last.
None......No need!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Fresh apples - stompped in a tub or red cherry's or what ever food source that is available in the area.

Most people I know wears rubber boots when they archery hunt.

So the only scent that they have on their boots is the smells from their animals, their house, their automobile etc...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use fox pee because it is cheaper and I buy it by the gallon jug and then put it in a spritzer bottle. I have used a lot of fox pee as a cover scent for many. many, years. I also use rubber boots if at all possible.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Doug,
You have to realize that not everyone hunts where you hunt and conditions are different regionally.
Deer here where I hunt will bust you from your scent trail going into the stand. Its already happened to me this year. Im not hunting year old does from a ground blind in 20 MPH wind. If you leave a scent trail in these cut downs you are busted.
To answer the question, I wear rubber boots and try and wash them in a ditch on the way into the stand. When rut kicks in I will use estrous pee on the heel of my boot.
Good Luck
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I would personally use scent-a-way or one of the other products like it. You'll be better off smelling like nothing, rather that smelling like a fox that has a bladder problem. JMO.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks
Doug,
You have to realize that not everyone hunts where you hunt and conditions are different regionally.
Deer here where I hunt will bust you from your scent trail going into the stand. Its already happened to me this year. Im not hunting year old does from a ground blind in 20 MPH wind. If you leave a scent trail in these cut downs you are busted.
To answer the question, I wear rubber boots and try and wash them in a ditch on the way into the stand. When rut kicks in I will use estrous pee on the heel of my boot.
Good Luck
Patrick I have hunted all over the USA! Bow Hunted some of the toughest conditions and did not worry about scent control. Played the wind, patterned the deer, set up, be still and quite and killed deer. This works for me. If you want or need to use scent control do it. The OP's question was which scent would you use walking in. I answered truthfully. The does at 10 yrd vid was to show beginners you can get close to deer in any condition. FYI I was not hunting them or you would have seen the kill shot! Thanks and have a great season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by david33
I always heard you Do Not put doe urin on you any where, because a buck or doe will attack you.
I have seen videos of deer attacking, hunters with doe urin, on them.

JMHO
Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I step in cow piles on the way to the stand. Or, walk to a cow pie and step in it then go in the other direction to my stand. If you don't have cow pies then i say just some mud or dirt or pine needles or something natural.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Um,
I have heard it both ways. On the one hand, some people thinks that if a deer smells a Fox in the woods that they will not be scared because a Fox will not enter a area unless it is safe.
On the other hand, I have seen Fox running beside a major highway in the middle of the winter when the snow was too deep to walk though the drifts - searching for road kills along the highway.

The other thing is - if you were a deer, and you lived in a one square mile area, and you knew every deer in that one square mile area, anytime something different came into your area - you would know about it pretty quick - as soon as you smelled it.

A hot doe to a prime buck might smell like fried chicken to you and me, but if the buck was spooked, it might become a warning sign to that deer that you have returned to your stand.

To me a cover scent has nothing to do with deer lure.

You could take a bath in deer pee and never see a buck for as much as it means to me. It all has to do with catching the urine of a doe in heat, which only happens once a month, starting in the fall - when ever your deer begins to rut. The doe will continue to go in heat once a month for every month after that until she is impregnated or dries up.

The only pee that means anything to me is the pee from the month that the bucks goes in rut. Because in my opinion - that is the month that it is probably the stinkiest and some unscrupulous deer breeders probably mixes pee from all times of the year to get a higher yield.
That pee would be of little value to me.

Now if I was a deer and I smelled corn or apples or acorns - I would come running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.