Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cover scent on boots

Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter View Post
Fresh apples - stompped in a tub or red cherry's or what ever food source that is available in the area.

Most people I know wears rubber boots when they archery hunt.

So the only scent that they have on their boots is the smells from their animals, their house, their automobile etc...
Your joking right? Fresh apples? Do you take your boots off before you get into your tree. Do you want the deer to look up at you?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

I am a firm believer in the cow poop! I know that they can still smell more than one scent but I think it does alot better than fox pee or raccoon pee or anyother pee. That much pee is unnatural. I don't hunt in the middle of the pasture but only about 100 yards from it. I still circle around and come into the wind and not across any trails to get to my stands. I have had deer with thier nose to the ground trail me to the tree I was in and not be the least bit concerned with it. Maybe they smelled my scent and didn't care. Maybe they only smelled cow crap. WHO KNOWS!?!?! All I know is they didn't bolt, or freeze, or snort, or stomp, they just kept on walking. And even if stepping in crap doesn't work at least it is free!!!! hahaha
Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Ok i have said it once and i will say it again if you wear estrus during early season hunting you will hinder your hunting. I will promise you, you will see more deer if you wear a cover sent other than estrus during early season. If you wear estrus yeah you might see one or maybe two but after you get done pushing the does out of the area the bucks will follow and then when everyone that hunts that area gets pissed maybe you will get the point. the best time to use estrus is the heat of the rut but you can use it during the beginning rut like three or four days into the rut in your areas. Although i am sure kswild could probably walk out in the woods with piss rolling down his leg after tying on a three day drunk and bag a 12 point monster.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SavageArms View Post
Ok i have said it once and i will say it again if you wear estrus during early season hunting you will hinder your hunting. I will promise you, you will see more deer if you wear a cover sent other than estrus during early season. If you wear estrus yeah you might see one or maybe two but after you get done pushing the does out of the area the bucks will follow and then when everyone that hunts that area gets pissed maybe you will get the point. the best time to use estrus is the heat of the rut but you can use it during the beginning rut like three or four days into the rut in your areas. Although i am sure kswild could probably walk out in the woods with piss rolling down his leg after tying on a three day drunk and bag a 12 point monster.
Prolly if I drank..... But here is the 15 point I took last year!
Live it up! Doug
Attached Thumbnails cover scent on boots-bullet-15-point-012new.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Here is the main idea guys hunting is all common since. Now you ask what do i mean? If you do not want to worry about cover scents play the wind know where the deer will be coming from and get down wind. if you do not want to sit in a tree stand all morning with out seeing a thing do your homework that means get out early and see where the food, water, deer sign, and bedding areas are in your hunting areas, and play them to allow for maximum deer exposure. Know and clear your shooting lanes good rule of thumb here is clear high watch them die clear low watch them go, deer notice when their surroundings change so try to clear limbs and leaves high not low. And last but not least be patient remember the next four and half hours might be the most awesome story you get this season. Especially if it is your first archery deer.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

Yeah i give you major props sir, you know what you are doing and you seem like salt. I did not mean any disrespect at all i just meant some people have the experience and know how to get the job done under any circumstance.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SavageArms View Post
Here is the main idea guys hunting is all common since. Now you ask what do i mean? If you do not want to worry about cover scents play the wind know where the deer will be coming from and get down wind. if you do not want to sit in a tree stand all morning with out seeing a thing do your homework that means get out early and see where the food, water, deer sign, and bedding areas are in your hunting areas, and play them to allow for maximum deer exposure. Know and clear your shooting lanes good rule of thumb here is clear high watch them die clear low watch them go, deer notice when their surroundings change so try to clear limbs and leaves high not low. And last but not least be patient remember the next four and half hours might be the most awesome story you get this season. Especially if it is your first archery deer.
All is very good advice! Have a great season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild View Post
Prolly if I drank..... But here is the 15 point I took last year!
Live it up! Doug

Is that...camo????
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO View Post
Is that...camo????
Yea but I'm not using it to hide!!!! And that's Blaze Orange too. It could have been sponge Bob pj's just as easy! LOL
Live it up! Doug