Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your Successful Mock Scrapes and Calling Sequences >

Your Successful Mock Scrapes and Calling Sequences

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Successful Mock Scrapes and Calling Sequences

Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your Successful Mock Scrapes and Calling Sequences

I have never made a mock scrape before, but I'm going to make a few this week, 3 weeks before ML season starts. I've read of all kinds of things used to place in scrapes, from buck and doe urine to human urine to new car scent to nothing at all! To those of you who have tried multiple scents, what has worked best for you? You never can tell with all the latest and greatest "deer products" out there.

Also, what has been your most successful calling sequence? And I don't mean "which brand of buck grunting call", I just mean sequence, using standard calls like rattling, grunts and doe bleats. I've only used doe bleats and was successful only once, but it sent a 9-pointer dashing over the ridge to find the doe...er, eh...me. And the business end of my gun.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

i pissed in one yesterday close to my stand so we'll see what happens, may have ran him off for good...?

as for calling, i don't know. i've only had luck with it a few times. saturday evening a fork horn come in under me sniffin' around so i grunted at him a few times and he really didn't pay much attention to it, just lifted his head to look around and right back to eating acorns.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

2 years ago I made a scrape in front of my camera in early Nov and emptied a buck bomb doe in heat can into it and all around. That night and the next 3 or 4 nights I had pictures of all kinds of deer and 4 different bucks with thier nose burried in that scrape. One buck was an old 13 point that would go at least 170 inches (never got him). It made me a believer in mock scrapes.
As far as calling I rattled in my first buck last year. No grunting or bleating just rattling. I have had mixed luck with grunting. I usually keep it simple and short if I don't see a deer. If I have eyes on one and I want to bring it into range I will call more and more aggressive and read the deer as best I can. I think calling has alot to do with alot of different variables. As long as you don't over do it I don't think it hurts to grunt or bleat every once in while. Just stay put after you do it. No one told that deer last year he was supposed to come to my rattling in less than 30 mins. It took him 45 to make it to me and luckily i spotted him first becuase i was standing like a statue walking to my truck in the middle of a field!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Spike

i had some success last year calling, rattling and mock scrapes. i hunt a wood block 80 yards by about 250yards. i set up a scrape every 50 yards along the edge and for at least a month i had deer that kept refreshing them. i sued that buck bomb doe p and dom buck at first to start em up like 3rd week in oct last year and all through nov they had deer using them. one was a scrape made by some otehr buck and every time i hunted i used the doe p and buck. then nov hit and i started using the doe in rut pee by the buck bomb and also tinks 69. i figured using 2 diff sources of doe in rut pee would drive em wild.
as for calling i used a set of 130-140class antlers for rattling. i always used a drag rag and i watched 4 bucks follow the scent in. one 4, couple 6s, and a young 2 yr old 8 that should be pretty good this year. i use a couple doe bleats and then use a tending grunt and hit the horns. it brought in some but none old enough to be shooters. i really like the snort wheeze as well. i was still hunting last year and used the snort wheeze followed by the horns and a big old 10 came out of the corn but i wasnt able to get a shot. i wasnt comfortable with 45 yard shot and would have been sick just wounding him. hopefully get a better shot this year at him.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

40+/- years here in the SE US (Al., Ark., Miss., La.)

Decent luck with mock scrapes made using oily tarsals from bucks I have killed. Not much of any luck at all using grunt, snort-wheeze or bleat calling.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I like tinks 69, or the buck bomb i used tinks last year and got a buck to follow a trail straight to my stand, best used during the heat of the rut though.