Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

calling for deer

Old 07-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default calling for deer

just wondering when where and what are some good deer calls to use!!
like what part of season pre rut rut post rut will work and what will it attracted buck or doe!!! not much experense with the calls !! help would be greatly appreciated!

good hunting
Old 07-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: calling for deer

Go to a sporting goods store or a video store and rent a video or two on calls and calling. You will learn a lot more from them than you will here.

I never leave home without a couple deer calls and always keep one handy. To actually use them to attract unseen deer to me, I use them in combo with rattling. But if I spook a deer or see a deer I am not likely to get a shot at, I use a call to calm the deer and sometimes bring them in closer for a shot. I have shot at deer and missed and called to stop them for another chance.

Robin
Old 07-13-2003, 04:42 PM

I like the doe-in-estrous can call made by quaker boy...Primos makes one also, but I have actually called in both buck and doe on the quaker boy during all parts of the rut. I always have that with me when I go hunting. I have used the rattling technique a few times, but had better luck with the can call. I also called in doe in the early season with the fawn in distress call.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would get a grunt call from any one of the major companies. i like lohman products. they key is to use it in moderation at low volumes. there is no one call that works and they dont always come a running like they show on t.v. it took me many hours in the stand to hear my first grunt. deer are a vocal creature but you have to know what to listen for. many times there calls get covered in the daily sounds of the forrest. just dont play it like a trumpet. think soft and a couple grunts at most then put it away for a half hour or so. my personal opinion is to only use it on deer in the distance that are working away and im trying to turn them back to me. if they can pick out where your location is they will hang up so use sparingly.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

A few words of advice from my experience, only us a grunt as a last resort to turn a deer, usually the only time a grunt will work is on a dominant buck, lesser bucks when they hear a grunt may not want to tangle with a dominant buck and keep on getting up.

I stick with doe bleats cold calling about every 20-30 minutes, the second you have a deer coming your way or into a shooting lane stop calling, I blew it a few years back by rather than waiting for a nice 8 point to clear a tree he was standing behing looking for the doe, I hit the call again, he was only 20 yards away but not in a shooting lane, when I hit the call again, he froze and stared right at me/my stand. After a very tense 3-4 minutes he decided, I should be able to see a doe this close and I don' t! H turned back the way he had been traveling and never looked back.

This very same buck I had tried to turn with a grunt, he stopped and looked and continued on his way, I grunted louder, same thing, stopped and went on, when I hit the doe bleat he turned right around and circled back my way.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buck Grunt and Doe bleats, change the use and tone with the changing phase of rut. I suggest getting a video or tape to help you mimic those calls. Their use to be a website that had buck grunts on it, maybe someone here can post it, I use to have it written down but can' t find it now.

I say keeping 70% of your calling to visual calling, meaning seeing a deer before you call. I do blind call with a grunt only when rattling and sometimes blind doe bleat as taz suggested. I also hole heartly agree if he is coming shut up, the most common mistake is over calling!!!! If you do blind call make sure to space the call atempts out to 20 min - 30 mins. Then only exception would be if rattling in rut, then 10-15 minutes which should be your rattling break half way point, should be implemented. During rut is absolutely essential to keep a bucks attention, one lull and he is off in a different direction.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use the " true talker" and the cans.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a " can" last year and although I expected it to work, it didn' t. I still think it sounds good and plan to try it this year, but I have had excellent results with grunt/bleat calls. I usually use them to turn a buck not coming towards me, but sometimes do some blind calling when I get bored.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave as many deer as you have around your place it must be difficult to get bored!

Quick Reply: calling for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.