Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand help?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default Treestand help?

Hey I am starting bow hunting this year and I was wondering what kind of treestand you guys advise getting. Climbers, ladders, etc...I will probably want to move it occasionally but not nearly every time I hunt.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I currently use a summit viper climbing treestand. I have had two and as far as comfort goes, cant beat 'em. I know a lot of people have their own preference but I have never had a problem with Summits.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you hunting your own land or public land?
Spike

Actually would it be a good idea to get a ladder two person one for me and my girlfriend and then a different used one for just me that would be portable?
Spike

I hear climbers are the most comfortable but don't you need a straight, limbless tree in order to use it? Also, how heavy/bulky are climbers to carry through the woods. I hunt public land and can't leave my stand up overnight so my hang-on stand goes in and out with me.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Spike

My own land
Old 10-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then I would buy a ladder stand. You only need to set it up and take it down once for each. Climbers are nice, but it can be a pain having to set it up and put it away every time you go into the woods. With ladders it is just a set up and leave it up until you want to take it down deal.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ladderstand all the way!

have tried them all, sold all the rest, hangons, climbers, etc...all I use/have now are ladders.

I also personally believe ladders to be safer stands than the other types, if your strap/chain breaks on a hangon or climber, you're going down! on a ladder, the ladder supports much of you, plus they're much easier to climb in and out of.

With two men, moving them on occasion is not a problem at all, they install much quicker than any other stand IMO.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tim1979
I hear climbers are the most comfortable but don't you need a straight, limbless tree in order to use it? Also, how heavy/bulky are climbers to carry through the woods. I hunt public land and can't leave my stand up overnight so my hang-on stand goes in and out with me.
I also hunt public land and I feel climbers are the way to go for that. Hang ons are nice but its a lot of equipment to carry in and out every time (stand, steps, etc). Looks like you have your own land so I guess it all depends on what you can, and will, leave out. As for as big and bulky; my summit viper is not at all. Many of them fold down almost completely on your back. Takes me no more than five minutes to pick a tree, climb it, and quietly get set up. If you have an area with good hardwoods, climber all the way IMO.

Last edited by schester14; 10-11-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Put a few ladder stands up then get a climber when the wind isn't in your favor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.