Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

luck?

Old 07-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default luck?

what do u think hunting is?? i really dont think theres to much luck involved other then the deer coming to the spot while your there....and even that can be minimal if you know your deer....reason i ask my friend calls me a really lucky hunter...i dissagree and call my dad a really good hunter...he thinks because we seen over 15 deer and killed 3 by 9am opening morning we are lucky....i say that we worked hard to find a good spot and theres very little luck involved with our success...we know the area well....had a mao and marked where most guys enter the woods and such...know all the trails.....and founda funnel where all the guys walking in and walking the trails and shooting deer near the trails would more then likely send them our way.....dad was there in bear season to see....alot of guys doing the same thing they do in deer season....the deer ran right by him all day...plus all the other scouting it took to find that area to even look at....lots of rubs...its a thicket so you know htey bed there and eat there and run there for cover....i really dont think theres much luck involved with us...sure its luck the deer run our way...but then again if you look at the map if they run anywhere else they are good as dead because its open and thats where hunters always are...they dont expect us in the thicket waiting for them....you can tell by their expressions when we click the saftey off and let them see us lol......what do you think? is hunting just a gmae of luck? really these days with all we know about deer and deer hunting you can definently do your part and take alot of the luck out easily.....
Old 07-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: luck?

alot of it luck, most of it , i' d say , but i also know that if you dont scout and keep up on em...........find the deer and they will come to you, God willing
Old 07-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Several of my friends call me lucky because I always shoot bigger bucks than they do.The difference is that I pass up the smaller ones that they would shoot and wait for the larger bucks.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Ill say this.

Id rather be lucky than good any day.

That bein said, Hunting is a thing of skills. You gotta be proficient with your weapon whether it be bow, shotgun, rifle, rock, you gotta be proficient with it. You also have to know about the deer, what they are eatin where, where they bed, travel routes, just their patterns. You have to know about where you need to be, how high in the tree, what spot for the blind, which tree to offer the best shots with the correct wind and with the deer in the effective range for your weapon, just you have to know what your doin.

But then again, Id rather be lucky than good any day
*could you follow all of that*
Old 07-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make your luck (increase your odds) by doing the right things. Sometimes you' ll do everything perfect and not see a deer. Other times they' ll almost walk right up to your truck. If you don' t see any deer it shows that there' s more you need to do (learn) to increse your odds.

Dan O.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

so basically most of you agree with me..that it isnt all luck and you can put in time and take alot of the luck out....and that is why he calls me lucky...i dont know if he ever even killed a deer....but if it was him killing the deer hed never say a word about it...sure its luck hte deer you see has a massive rack...sure its luck that they walk perfectly for you...but alot of things can be helped with good skill and such.....i call the guys that dont even know a rub from a scrap but still kill deer lucky......maybe my dad will find himself another honey hole like this one so i can have this one to myself : ) lol..it sure is a great spot.....year after year i will be there until something changes there or dad gives me the boot....within 10 years the trees will grow up and it wont be so great id be willing to bet....but until then im gunna keep droppin them there...
Old 07-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

You make your own luck with hard work of scouting and learning all that you can about your area and the game you are hunting! That being said, you can' t account for " bad" luck, doing everything right and still the game doesn' t show up.
Or " pure" or " dumb" luck. Like a green-horn Yo-Yo, doing everything wrong, and scoring a trophy buck!
Another thing that comes with luck, is being " lucky" enough to be able to hunt good properties. Being able to hunt good property takes either luck or money, sometimes both! I am more impressed with people on this board that are true " hunters" ! Because lets face it, ANYONE willing to shell out 3 to 5 grand or more can put a trophy on their wall! That does not make them hunters!
The key is consistancy, when you make your own luck, you will score more in the long run than the Yo-Yo that puts his faith in being " lucky" !!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:16 AM

I have experienced about the same amount of what can be interprited as bad luck as I have good luck.

To me its a wash between the two - And all thats left to seperate consistant hunters from inconsistant is hard work and commitment.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:03 AM

OK, I know you guys all scout out areas and the like and I believe that your skills in doing so have a great deal to do with your success rates. However, I am a rookie hunter (2 years) in Northern Ontario. To date, I have seen 10 deer (3 bucks) and three moose. One of my hunting buddies has 5 years under his belt and all he' s seen in that time is one buck in the fifth year.

So, how lucky am I []? Obviously my talents aren' t fantastic just yet and I' m learning all the time. I' ve noted rubs and scrapes but never hunted them. I simply go where I' m told and and have God' s good graces to have seen so many!

Even with all your scouting, there is still some element of luck that brings in that beauty that you' re looking for. All the scents, grunts, rattles in the world won' t bring in a skittish buck. It' s fate! [8D]
Old 07-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have all heard the expresion: " The harder I work, the luckier I get" . There' s a lot of truth there....Peronally, I work hard at it because I want to and love every minute of it. Sure I can hunt without much scouting and maybe even punch by tag on a beautiful buck, but hunting deer is certainly more than spending time in the woods. So much goes into our sport....getting the camp ready, scouting, sighting in our rifles/ml/shotguns, practicing with our bows, just to name a few. Hunting here in New England (NH and ME) can be very challenging. We just don' t have the deer numbers other states/province have, so pre-season scouting is crutial to the avid hunter, like those in my hunting party. But we don' t do it because we HAVE TO, we do it because we WANT TO. We would also rather be hunting than doing anything else. That may not sound like a lot but when the weather turns nasty and a cold beer and a football game is there for the taking, it takes a lot to lace up those boots in the pre-dawn hours and get mentally prepared for a cold/rainy/snowy day' s hunt. That kind of mentality not only makes for a more exciting hunt full of anticipation but also increases the odds for success. Mauser....keep doing what you' re doing, scout hard, hunt hard and hang tough with Dad and enjoy the hunt when it finally arrives each year. Because that' s what it' s all about.....Good Luck....Jimmy.

Quick Reply: luck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.