HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Binocs, mid grade? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/331507-binocs-mid-grade.html)

tealboy 10-09-2010 04:11 AM

Binocs, mid grade?

I have two pair of binocs, one is 12x56 steiner nighthunters, which are powerful, expensive and clear but they are also heavy. My favorite all around pair is a set of Simmons that were discontinued yrs ago but they were of very good quality components including BAK4 glass and fully multi coated optics, 8x42's. I don't want to spend a ton of money but $200-350 is ok. While I want fully multi coated for light gathering and high quality glass, I don't care about name brand.

Anyway, I've been out of the market for awhile and thought I'd seek your advice in a light, 10x42 roof prism design binoc. The nikon monarch or bushnell infinity may be a good choice but want to consider others. Thank you

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-09-2010 07:33 AM

If you are hunting in a place where you sit and glass for long periods of time, get the field glasses that you presently own mounted to a tripod.

The tripod will eliminate the shakes which will help you to see better and you won't have to worry about your neck getting tired.

iSnipe 10-10-2010 04:45 AM

I never put "high quality" with the word "Simmons" in the same sentence. LOL!

Pentax beats Bushnell in bino's. I think they're the best value for quality on the market. I use to have serious eye problems so I went on a buying spree and found the Pentax to be very good binos... depending on which model(s) you got.

Originally Posted by tealboy
...they give me neck fatique...

You need to get bino straps that rest on your back and shoulders rather than your neck. Crooked-Horn Outfitters makes some very nice bino straps that has straps that fit over each shoulder. They cross in the back almost like suspenders and the binos are attached in front you hanging similar to regular bino straps, except the weight is distributed evenly over more surface area. Allen makes some that are almost identical and they're cheaper. Gander Mountain has some and I'm thinking Cabelas too. You can find them on eBay and the internet quite easily. You can get them from $10 to $30 depending on brand and color(black or camo)

Yeah, and skip the tri-pod. Way too cumbersome. If you have to go that route, get a mono-pod with a swiveling head. They're cheaper, easier to maneuver and lighter.

Good luck,

iSnipe

npaden 10-10-2010 06:02 PM

Nikon Monarchs are a good choice in mid level glass. I prefer the 10x42mm. You can usually find them right around that $300 number.

You also might want to check out Zen Ray. They are new on the block but have been getting pretty great reviews and while they run about $400 many folks are comparing them to Lecia, Swaroski, etc.

Tim1979 10-10-2010 06:16 PM

I have Monarch 10x42s. Nice glass and they're tough as well. I got a chest harness to keep the weight off my neck.

mi_fiveo 10-11-2010 08:46 AM

Leupold Wind River series are great optics for that price range. I think mine are the cascades 10X42 in Camo. Better than Bushnell and Nikon in my opinion.

Night Crawler 10-11-2010 10:20 AM

just my personal opinion, try and get the best equipment you can afford. when I first got into hunting I always bought cheaper crap. once I figured that out I would buy 1 real nice accessory each year, (I have to outfit the wife also) luckily she don't bow hunt. my opinion for what its worth

Bible_Man 10-11-2010 08:18 PM

A harness system is a must for me! Not only for the reduction of stress on the neck, but also for the fact that it keeps them close to my body and out of the way. As far as glass...get what you can afford. And while paying for a brand name isn't always something that excites me, there is a reason you have to pay for it...usually worth it.

iSnipe 10-11-2010 10:45 PM

Bible Man, - While I find your slight aversion to the "name brands", I find it highly ironic after looking at your signature line. LOL!

=================================

Nikons and Leupold binoculars suck.

LOL! JK. I like the higher models in both of them when it comes to scopes, but I don't have much experience with them as a bino. I do recall checking out the Nikon binos and liking them though. I still preferred the Pentax in the same $$$ inve$ted. A guy can't go wrong with either of them.

iSnipe

tealboy 01-25-2011 03:05 AM

any other suggestions? I have not purchased but would like to before turkey season