Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Kansas Rifle Season (WIHA land) >

Kansas Rifle Season (WIHA land)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kansas Rifle Season (WIHA land)

Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Kansas Rifle Season (WIHA land)

Hi all. First post to the board here. My little deer hunting know how comes from SE Missouri where I hunted with my grandfather for many years on a nice farm. Now being in Kansas I must find my own spot within the WIHA program. So far I am enjoying the challenge and am about to start some actual boots on the ground scouting, a little late, I know.

Now for questions. I realize unlike Missouri, rifle season is post rut. Common sense and some research tells me I have to be on or around a good food source with available cover habitat. So what do Kansas Whitetails like as far as available agriculture/crops, or natural food sources late in the year during rifle season? I know deer like corn, beans, acorns, but I think these are mostly gone by December.

Anyone who hunts WIHA areas please share your experience. I am from Wichita and am scoping some very low population areas about 1.5-2 hrs away. I plan on hunting the Wed, Thurs, opening days in hopes that most people will be waiting for the weekend. Is this naive thinking?

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!

Last edited by MBaboon; 10-08-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

I personally have never hunted on WIHA land during rifle season (which will probably change this year), but I did go during the early muzzleloader season this year and I can tell you, I saw NO ONE. Now, rifle season will more than likely be different than early muzzleloader, but if you go during the week, you will more than likely see a lot less people. You have the right idea about hunting near a food source; a cut soybean or corn field next to some CRP land or heavy woods would be ideal. Good luck, hope you get a big one!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Spike

Anyone else?