Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what kind of rifle

Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

7mm-08 i feel is great round, comfortable to shoot with low recoil, accurate and relatively flat shooting. i've heard of guys shooting elk out to 250yds with this round.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

Looks like Beard Buster has a bunch of sock puppets.
LOL!

How does that saying go...

"Give a man enough rope and he will...." ??

iSnipe
Old 10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

I agree Beard Buster
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by pearsontx4
i use to rifle hunt... and i havent picked up a rifle for about 5 years.
Make sure you understand you may be a little rusty, so do a lot of shooting again to get back into stroke. In MN here, I see all too often Fall Weekend Warriors come up and try their luck at whitetails and some haven't even sighted in or shot their guns since the year previous! Some think taking a few shots to see if their rifle is "close" and call that good!

Getting re-acquainted with shooting and your gun, then this will pay dividends when everything you've worked for and hoped for, comes down to a few special key last seconds! Perfect practice, makes perfect. Go buy a lot of shells!

iSnipe
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Hey pearsontx4, another thing you may want to consider is how available cartridges are in your area. It's been a while since you have used your rifle and some things have changed in that time. It seems like anymore, it's hard to find ammo around hunting season, brands and weights can be kind of limited (unless you're buying on-line), and odd-ball calibers can be a lot more expensive. On the other hand, it seems like everywhere I go I can find .243, .270, .308, and 30-06 without any problems. I like my .308 because, although it's not as flat shooting as the .300 WM, the bullet drop is very predictable and it's not too hard on the shoulder and good ammunition (relatively) cheap. But, like I say, it will depend on what people in your area are using and, likewise, what your ammo shops are keeping on the shelves. Have fun sniping those deer!