Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what kind of rifle

Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote Night Crawler;3698100]the .308 is the only cal I would set up for 400+yd shots.[/quote]

What .308 cartridge are you referring too??? 06', 300 or is it the .308 win??

I'm sitting here, shaking my head.

You don't need a magnum rifle, you just need to learn to be a better hunter. Shooting 500 yards does not make you a good hunter, just makes you a shooter.

You need to learn how to deal with nature and if you do not get them today, to go back tomorrow and try harder.
Hunting in my opinion is a up close and personal sport.

If you cannot get closer then 150 yards to a deer, you are not a deer hunter. You don't need a cannon to shoot a deer. There are thousands of 12 year old and younger kids in Pennsylvania who shoots deer with a .222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester or .243 Winchester with no problems. So why can't you?
As we do everytime you type it seems. First off just because you can't see more then 150 yards where you hunt doesn't mean other elsewhere can't! Try getting to even 250 yards of an antelope without a tree of any kind from which to perch or shield your movements. Just one example where shooting isn't because ones lazy or unable to interpret game sign, necessity. The arguement pops up all the time and the same bs is flung. Your not a real hunter if you can't get within 100 to 150 yards and the other side is just b/c you can't shoot further doesn't mean others can't either. Skill vs skill but most times its a strict by product of our different hunting enviroments. Some can't see more then 100 yards and others can see what appears the end of the earth. It makes us different yes but wrong or inadequate...not IMHO.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

You don't need a magnum rifle, you just need to learn to be a better hunter. Shooting 500 yards does not make you a good hunter, just makes you a shooter.

You need to learn how to deal with nature and if you do not get them today, to go back tomorrow and try harder.

If you cannot get closer then 150 yards to a deer, you are not a deer hunter. You don't need a cannon to shoot a deer. There are thousands of 12 year old and younger kids in Pennsylvania who shoots deer with a .222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester or .243 Winchester with no problems. So why can't you?

I don't think I have ever read a useful post from you.

Where I hunt, 150 yards is a close shot. Wide open areas with little cover make it hard to get close. Just because it is the way you hunt, doesn't mean it is the only way and every other way is wrong and unethical. When you get a chance, get off your high horse.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Spike

you are a condescending a$$. i sure wish we were all as good as you. f-ing loser. you continuously fail to show a "feeling of good will" towards others...

ill prob get banned etc from this site for flaming you but i really don't care. there are dozens more like it out there.

there are some really good folks on here that care about others and care about the sport. unfortunately for you... you only care about you.

if you are an adult, shame one you for not acting like one. if you are a snot nosed kid who thinks they know everything, then turn off mom's computer as i think she is calling you for your pm snack.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by onedkcharette
you are a condescending a$$. i sure wish we were all as good as you. f-ing loser. you continuously fail to show a "feeling of good will" towards others...

ill prob get banned etc from this site for flaming you but i really don't care. there are dozens more like it out there.

there are some really good folks on here that care about others and care about the sport. unfortunately for you... you only care about you.

if you are an adult, shame one you for not acting like one. if you are a snot nosed kid who thinks they know everything, then turn off mom's computer as i think she is calling you for your pm snack.
very nicely said,i totaly agree.some ppl are nothing more then self proclaimed profesionals.in reality they know little to nothing.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Whoa bud hold up im a bow hunter you really think I don't know how to get close to deer I have shot deer 5 yards away what's wrong with shooting that far if you are able to? I have fields that I hunt in that's over a thousand yards long I don't know where you hunt at but im guessing that you don't have wide open fields like we do so before you start yelling at people think about it for a minute its not like I sling out bullets until I think I've hit something
Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

You mean there are open spaces in Kansas???
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Couldnt have said it better myself. This site is for hunters to share stories and ask advice. He doesnt deserve to be bashed for being able to take a long shot but congradulated for his shooting abilities. Do us all a favor and stop bashing everyone on the forum for no apparent reason.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hanks396
You mean there are open spaces in Kansas???
Only one or two lol
Old 10-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't need a short or ultra mag.

The 7MM RM or the .300 WM will do just fine !!!

All the major manufacturers make capable rifles.

I choose the "features" I prefer first, then which shoulders best.

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
[quote Night Crawler;3698100]the .308 is the only cal I would set up for 400+yd shots.
What .308 cartridge are you referring too??? 06', 300 or is it the .308 win??

As we do everytime you type it seems. First off just because you can't see more then 150 yards where you hunt doesn't mean other elsewhere can't! Try getting to even 250 yards of an antelope without a tree of any kind from which to perch or shield your movements. Just one example where shooting isn't because ones lazy or unable to interpret game sign, necessity. The arguement pops up all the time and the same bs is flung. Your not a real hunter if you can't get within 100 to 150 yards and the other side is just b/c you can't shoot further doesn't mean others can't either. Skill vs skill but most times its a strict by product of our different hunting enviroments. Some can't see more then 100 yards and others can see what appears the end of the earth. It makes us different yes but wrong or inadequate...not IMHO.[/quote]

Originally Posted by SchuLace
I don't think I have ever read a useful post from you.

Where I hunt, 150 yards is a close shot. Wide open areas with little cover make it hard to get close. Just because it is the way you hunt, doesn't mean it is the only way and every other way is wrong and unethical. When you get a chance, get off your high horse.

Originally Posted by skinnnner
very nicely said,i totaly agree.some ppl are nothing more then self proclaimed profesionals.in reality they know little to nothing.
Originally Posted by pearsontx4
Whoa bud hold up im a bow hunter you really think I don't know how to get close to deer I have shot deer 5 yards away what's wrong with shooting that far if you are able to? I have fields that I hunt in that's over a thousand yards long I don't know where you hunt at but im guessing that you don't have wide open fields like we do so before you start yelling at people think about it for a minute its not like I sling out bullets until I think I've hit something
Originally Posted by kyslayer
Couldnt have said it better myself. This site is for hunters to share stories and ask advice. He doesnt deserve to be bashed for being able to take a long shot but congradulated for his shooting abilities. Do us all a favor and stop bashing everyone on the forum for no apparent reason.
Hey mr. ass hole...i mean mr. deer hunter. You see this... this right here is 6 other people on this 1 thread that see how negative, rude, and unhelpful you are to other people. I can see youve been hard at your posting for a while now...if that length of time is even a month...and i cant imagine that 1 of those 200 something post have actually been positive toward another person on this site, because i like other people have never heard anything nice said by you before. I mean what is your deal??? GROW UP!!!

and pearson, i like you am a bowhunter but as far as a good flat shooting gun, i recommend something in a short mag like a 270wsm or a 300wsm or a 7mm wsm. these shortmagnums are some of the fastest, flattest shooting, and most accurate rounds that can take down any big game that you would be hunting. I would reccomend looking at one of these cartridges in whatever brand gun you are looking to buy. I hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.