Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade ground blind.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade ground blind.

I am wanting to build a ground blind for this deer season, I was going to build it on site, and then remove it til next season. I was going to make it just big enough for two people to sit in and rifle hunt. I'm not too savvy on construction of something like this so does anyone have pictures and plans of theirs? I want it to have cut outs on each side and I was going to staple camo netting around it. Any more ideas and pictures would be appreciated, big idea on this one is to save money so not looking for an extravagant blind.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

What about just buying a pop up blind? I've used one for years till I finally build one on a stand.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'd just build it out of brush laying around. It will look more natural and you don't have to worry about plans.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Had 3 pop up blinds I dont like them, they dont block enough of the weather, they are loud and flimsy and animals knock them down before season comes. I want a solid wood blind, not just brush and surroundings not to knock your idea either. Im going to put limbs and leaves and trees around it once its done to blend in.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like you're talking about something to be pre-assembled in panels, transported to the woods and then put together. 3 or even 4 Sides and a roof, with "windows" in the sides. I'd plan on a 6'x4' or 6'x6' dimension. Make the sides out of 1/4" plywood with light inner frame of something like 1x3 strapping. You could pre-drill holes so the sides could be joined by bolts and wingnuts or even heavy zip-ties. Same goes for the roof. I would not worry about a floor, just clear away the leaves and sticks. Pick a pretty level spot. Give the outside a nice large pattern camo paint job at home before you take it to the woods. Paint will protect the wood better than just stapling on netting. Include some dark vertical elements that would look like tree trunks. Don't forget to tether it down in some way.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 10-08-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

We built one a few years ago using old pallets as the walls... Dug out the ground under it to give it a little height... We then covered the wood pallets in burlap (camoflouged)... Just an idea
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

A good ground blind is constructed out of natural materials, utilizing the terrain around where you hunt. Without knowing where you are hunting and what is in the general area, there is no way for sure to answer your question.

If it was at the edge of a farmers field, I would purchase some hay bales and sit between them - deer are not afraid of hay bales in a field.

In the woods, I would stack up some logs - like a log house and put some brush in front of the blind.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default help

Please help
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Spike

I don't have any drawings or plans, but for a 2 man blind, I think a 4' x 6' blind is ideal. Have you tried a hub style pop up blind? They're much better than the older spring steel styled blinds.