Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats my prob.??

Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats my prob.??

I have a remington 700 7mm-08. It has a 24 inch barrel with an x-mark pro trigger. The optics are a Leupold VXII 3x9x40, held on with Tally bases and rings.

Today was the first day I have had a chance to shoot the gun. I have a box of hornady Superformance 139gr sst's. I am not so sure the gun likes these bullets. After 3 2 shot rounds I noticed that my first shot would shoot about 3 inches high and the second would shoot dead on. Shoot another 2 rounds and the same exact thing. Third round same exact thing... I had three shots 3 inches high and 3 shots dead on. Does it sound like a bullet issue or weapon issue or both..

Are there any other bullets I should try next? I can get federal fusion, core lokts and, winchester power points...
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure your shooting base is solid, not moving at all. If your good on that, try taping your scope at its adjustment screws. I simply use the empty shell, and tap the adjusters a couple times. It seats the lenses. Then try couple more shots. If your sure on all that, then most def. try some other ammo. I've had rifles that just wouldn't shoot a certain ammo well, while others with the same exact gun have no problems with that same ammo.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Check your scope mounts. Sounds like each shot might be moving the mount, thats why it's jumping back and forth. Good luck, let us know what happens.
-Jake
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Deerhunter should be here shortly to solve your problems.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not the bullets. 7mm 08 is a very inherently accurrate gun.I'm assuming your using a solid rest and can shoot accurately.
So far good mounts and more than adequate scope.
Check all screws on mounts and the screws that hold the action to the stock make sure they are tight and none are missing.
If you have already done this, and Your still having issues, Inspect the stock very very well could have a split in the stock itself someplace in the action area.More than likely this is a stock or a bedding issue with the barrel hitting a pressure point somewhere on the inlet of the stock.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-08-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm assuming you are using a lead sled or something similar. Be sure not to over tighten the screws and break one off or you will have more problems.
I wouldn't overlook the potential of a scope problem. Lupy's can mess up as well as any other scope and the VXII isn't their top of line scope..
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off I'm a believer in 3 shot groups with a big game sporter barrel rifle and 5 shot with target/varmit barrel. This helps to isolate flyers, flinches, etc. Now the fact you shot 3 - 2 shot groups which repeated the exact same results you do have a grouping happening, which tells me it ain't a scope/mounting issue. If it were the shots would not be replicated so percisely, at least in my experience. I could also be optimistic to eliminate shooter and rest problems as it would be pretty amazing to see one chilly dip 3 second shots exactly after putting the first ones all 3" high. So my thoughts are either: Load or bedding issue at this point. Buying a secondary type of ammo is an easy check or comparison. The bedding issue can be in the form of stock touch when it heats up from the first firing. A test would be a dollar bill slid along both sides of the barrel channel when ambient and after a firing. If it changes or catchs you need to either hawg out the channel at the touch area (s) &/or have it pillared and glass bedded.

Try 3 shot groups, let it cool to ambient and then another 3 shot groups to follow. Outside temp changes the wait time, use your hand or touch to gauge when the barrel has adequately cooled. If sunny and hot letting it cool in the shade will minimize wait time.

good luck
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the exact same thing happen...2 shots together, 1 flyer (2-4 inches different) out every 3 shot group. This was with my favorite rifle that I've had for 25 years and I know is a fine shooter. I had the same scope on there for years......a leupy vari x ii 3-9....I was shooting the same exact bullets I'd been shooting for years. Finally, after doing everything else i could think of, there was only one choice left. I took the scope off and put another one on. Voila, problem solved. I called leupy and the scope is getting mailed back to them asap..it's at least 15-20 years old. I hope they come to the same conclusion...that the scope is no longer holding zero...and I'm sure, if they do, they will make it right again.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not holding zero would entail not repeatable...NO? Find it hard to believe a scope would repeat the exact same thing over and over if it went south. At least that is my experience when it comes to a sighting devices and or components.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vertical stringing is often caused by forearm stock pressure. Is the barrel free floating? Many rifles these days are made with a "pressure pad" near the end of the forestock. This can be removed with a dowel wrapped in fine sandpaper. Once the barrel is floated, if there are still problems, the action can be bedded. These problems are usually fixed by floating and/or bedding. Be sure to re-seal the wood if you sand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.