Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats my prob.??

Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya skeeter. I can only go with what actually happened. I was very reluctant to blame the scope (and remove it). I thought perhaps I was going to have to get the barrel re-crowned (although it looked fine to me) or that perhaps it was just "shot-out" (although it hasn't had over 500 rounds put through it). I was in a slight panic. I should get the thing bedded but there has never been a real need for it. It's a model 7 6mm (one of the first ones to come out). Now there is a chance that one of the screws off the base was loose or something (as I didn't check them until after I'd removed the scope, of course), but that still is a scope/mounting problem. Either way, I figured I'd let leupold take a look at the scope and let me know what (if anything) they find...said it will only take about 10 days. the barrel does get hot fast and I thought that may be the culprit (although it hasn't been an issue in the past). Anyway, if it's not the scope, i wouldn't know how to explain its return to the status quo by switching them out. if possible, I'll let you know that leupy says.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Mr. Deerhunter should be here shortly to solve your problems.
Bwa hahahahahaha! I'm with you on this one!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

I shot the gun again today to make sure my form and everything was on point. I shot the best I could. Before I shot the 7mm08 I shot my 243 and had a 1/2 inch group, so I am assuming my form with the 7mm08 should have been as good. I did however notice alot of powderized brass along the underside of the bolt and at the front of the bolt where the casing makes contact. I also visually checked my scope mounts and rings and everything seems to be tigh and in order. The only thing I didnt look at was the bedding. I am shooting the hornady superformance ammo and do you think maybe the extra horse power may cause this gun to do this? Ahhh ima try some power points or core lokts and see if it changes...
Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Mr. Deerhunter should be here shortly to solve your problems.
ha!! thats great
Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

cheap fix for floating is to cut the rim off a butter bowl lid and then cut a couple pieces to fit in the stock under the barrel lug. Cheap way to gain accuracy as long as you don't over tighten the bolts.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by okieshooter
cheap fix for floating is to cut the rim off a butter bowl lid and then cut a couple pieces to fit in the stock under the barrel lug. Cheap way to gain accuracy as long as you don't over tighten the bolts.
basically just a shim for the barrel lug? Would I have to do anything towards the receiver and trigger? or just shim under the barrel lug?