HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Propane? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/331384-propane.html)

blackhawk_archery 10-07-2010 07:33 AM

Propane?

I have these issues when the weather gets cold around the rut time where my toes get numb and my legs get cold it has caused me to get up and head for home 3-4 hours into a hunt,I am curious if anyone who hunts a blind has used a propane heater and do they release a lot of smell?

mackesr 10-07-2010 08:29 AM

We have used those Buddy heaters in box blinds before. They use propane and did not seem to spook the deer, though the wind was in our face so I am sure that helped. If they got down wind I would imagine that they could smell that pretty well.

Night Crawler 10-07-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mackesr (Post 3697504)
We have used those Buddy heaters in box blinds before. They use propane and did not seem to spook the deer, though the wind was in our face so I am sure that helped. If they got down wind I would imagine that they could smell that pretty well.

I to have used those heaters, I have had deer smell it, no they did not spook but they smelled it.

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-07-2010 10:35 AM

I would give you this piece of advice... MAN UP!

Iowa is just as cold as Illinois...

blackhawk_archery 10-07-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR (Post 3697617)
I would give you this piece of advice... MAN UP!

Iowa is just as cold as Illinois...

I guess so but if I could stay warm I would stay in the blind all day its not about being a man if you ever had your toes go numb you would see what I am talking about I have spent many of days in a cold duck blind but if I can have heat and be comfortable why wouldnt I?

blackhawk_archery 10-07-2010 10:47 AM

If you guys dont recommend a propane heater do you have any suggestions on warm boots and bibs?

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-07-2010 10:52 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about when toes go numb. I have spent the last 15 years hunting the late muzzleloader here in Iowa where the average temps seem to be -10 degrees. I just have a knack for telling my men to man up, so I guess it carried over.

I picked up a set of bibs and a jacket from Arctic Shield last fall... Kept me nice and toasty through December and into January as for the numb toes; get some boots with a good insulation rating.

Terasec 10-07-2010 11:02 AM

would work on circulation,
sitting still will get you cold,
of course better gear will help,
proper layering with proper materials will make a world of a difference,
can try those pocket warmers, throw them in your boots,
what i do when ice fishing and get cold, i will work on getting my blood flowing, push ups and jumping jacks warm me up,

Patrick Eubanks 10-07-2010 11:05 AM

How are you going to do push-ups and jumping jacks while deer hunting?

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-07-2010 11:13 AM

^ Very carefully... If not, its a long way down