Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters >

USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Spike

Default USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Fellow Outdoor enthusiasts,

I bought the new iphone and for the last few months I have been looking at applications for hunting. I have seen a few articles and postings online about hunting apps but I have to admit that I have been continually dissappointed on what is out there. Perhaps it is the fault of the itunes database that even when I search through specific catagories it seems I have to scroll through countless versions of shooting games before I find something of real use.

There are a lot of game calls but these are not only illegal to use but obviously useless in the field. BUT, Having said all that, there are some pretty cool applications for the outdoorsman and I would be interested to hear others thoughts on this subject.

I just downloaded something called Game Ranger and it is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. A simple to use rangefinder that lets the hunter pinch shoulder lines or big game silhouettes against the background to find distance. There are also hunting information applications about identifying tracks, legal information and even an SAS survival guide. There is an isolunar app that provides peak times to hunt and fish. Hunting bag allows you to keep track of your game tally.

But really, I think there is a lot more potential for this technology to provide some real utilities for us sportsmen in the field and besides games, calls and calendars, I think there is a lot of room for someone to create more useful and practical applications like the Game Ranger application I mentioned. Consider it a challenge...

If anyone knows of some USEFUL applications out there please let us all know!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

I feel sorry for some of the people that cant stop playing with phones while out hunting,just put it away and enjoy the natural world while your hunting,all those applications are things you should already know from trial and error while in the timber.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 10-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I beg to differ, Blackhawk. You ever hunted wilderness or a massive national forest? Topographic maps are a man's best friend in those situations, so why I shouldn't I use my much more compact and quiet phone to look at topo maps while I'm out there?

App: Topo Maps
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Hmm, I use an Android phone and love it. I love it so much I was checking NCAA football game scores while bow hunting. Then I had to fumble to put it away when a deer showed up quickly. The deer was spooked and ran down to 15 yards of me before I could get ready so I didn't get a shot. I don't think I could have gotten a shot even had I not been messing with the phone, but I can assure you it won't happen again.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Spike

I posted this on another thread but thought it would ok to post here as well....

i have poked around at some of the apps out there (i have a droid) and as neat as some of them are its the battery life that will let you down. they need to have a battery on the smart phones that last at least 12 hrs with the GPS/phone etc running.
that being said I really like the TOPO maps (backcountry navigator) that are available with tracking. with the airplane mode on i hope to be able go full 6-8 hrs with the just the gps and maps running. i normally hunt the county up in maine where you can walk for forever and not see anything/anyone. gps/topo maps on the phones are a huge plus without having to buy another handheld GPS unit.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

bowhunter6 - are you Jeff James or affiliated with him?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
bowhunter6 - are you Jeff James or affiliated with him?
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. TRYING to be subtle by throwing in the, "But really, I think there is a lot more potential for this technology..." Could be wrong, though.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

I guess that may be one reason I dont need one,there is no real large hunting areas around here.I do occasionally check email in the woods or my ebay auctions but I try to keep my phone use to a minimum,but I also dont have an expensive phone like all you lol just a 30 dollar cheapo
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Spike

Don't anyone get mad, but anything with a battery that is not waterproof should be look at as a convienence and entertainment. Any hunter in true wilderness areas should always have a top map and compass as a backup. More importantly, know how to use it. Don't get me wrong, I love my gadgets, but anything electronic, with batteries and not waterproof could cost you your life or a long unplanned stay in the wilderness.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 375LVR
Don't anyone get mad, but anything with a battery that is not waterproof should be look at as a convienence and entertainment. Any hunter in true wilderness areas should always have a top map and compass as a backup. More importantly, know how to use it. Don't get me wrong, I love my gadgets, but anything electronic, with batteries and not waterproof could cost you your life or a long unplanned stay in the wilderness.
Agreed, REAL topos for backup. But like I had mentioned, nothing beats the convenience and QUIETNESS and minimum of movement having a topo map on your mobile device can achieve.

And I always, always have a compass. Even if hunting a small area. I always find a use for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.