Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters >

USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 375LVR
Don't anyone get mad, but anything with a battery that is not waterproof should be look at as a convienence and entertainment. Any hunter in true wilderness areas should always have a top map and compass as a backup. More importantly, know how to use it. Don't get me wrong, I love my gadgets, but anything electronic, with batteries and not waterproof could cost you your life or a long unplanned stay in the wilderness.
Sound wisdom! Speaking for myself this is REAL hunting with REAL danger and possible potential life threatening situations. In the wild you better not trust your life to some gadget because if you do you could end up deader than the game animal you are hunting. Plus it is an unneeded distraction as the poster said about fumbling with his phone when a deer showed up. This of course is just MY opinion!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Spike

Don't anyone get mad, but anything with a battery that is not waterproof should be look at as a convienence and entertainment. Any hunter in true wilderness areas should always have a top map and compass as a backup. More importantly, know how to use it. Don't get me wrong, I love my gadgets, but anything electronic, with batteries and not waterproof could cost you your life or a long unplanned stay in the wilderness.
the size of the area i hunt would be crazy to try and carry a topo. i was a Scout in the army so i can take care of myself with just a compass...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Spike

"the size of the area i hunt would be crazy to try and carry a topo. i was a Scout in the army so i can take care of myself with just a compass..."

Good point on size of area. Though I was referring to large wilderness areas, I always at a minimum have a compass, but not always a topo. It is also good that you know your abilities and have confidence that you are prepared. I can think of a couple of times I have been in small 8-10,000 acre wildlife management areas and with mist, fog and fading light, not really know which way the truck was. Reach in the pocket, pull out the compass and presto back on course. How many people have been following a blood trail intently at night and all of the sudden look up and not know where you are? You may not be "lost" since it is a 1 sq mile block, but still not sure which way to go.

Good topic...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Spike

Default Best IPhone Hunting App

Check out IHuntJournal for the IPhone. It is a great hunting journal with great flexibility. You can record your hunts, harvests, and research. The next version is due out next week and it will include even more functionality.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Good points, although I just learned today about a case that goes over the iphone that makes it waterproof, and improves the touch screen.

I often carry a gps and a phone...I would like to put both in one device so I am saving for a smartphone.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

I use the Gaia Lite topo app and also use the iphone to check hunting forums and do live from the stand updates. People seem to really enjoy that and it gives me something to do while in the stand to pass the time.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Spike

Default Try this one

I bought an app serch itunes for "the outdoor guide" check out his video the things works awsome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lko7HRllM4
Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default iphone app

Originally Posted by bendeerman
I bought an app serch itunes for "the outdoor guide" check out his video the things works awsome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lko7HRllM4
The iphone battery lasts alot longer than the droid or anything else i believe thats on the market. I bought The Outdoor Guide app for $4.99 I like it, weather, moon phases, feed times, wind direction
Quite the handy tool for hunting and Fishing
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default iHunt Journal

The new version of IHunt Journal is out. It is even more powerful than before. It is already a great app and will only get better.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Spike

There's a new Free iPhone app out called My Duck Log. It is very simple; just records your daily total, by species, and then provides a tally. The developer (me) will keep adding new stuff as it continues to get downloaded. Facebook integration is in the latest release due out in about a week. Let me know what you want and take a moment to write a review on the app store! My Bird Log is also available. It is for recording your Upland Game Birds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.