Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters >

USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters

Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Spike

I've got one called hunting calender.. It was a little but it gives the moon phases and how the hunting should be on that day. I like it so far
Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I found one that has a score sheet to measure inches on the B and C scale, one on archery tips (not that I currently bow hunt....maybe next season)

While I agree that carting a load of technology into the field defeats the purpose in many aspects, when you're NOT out hunting, its nice to have a hunting related diversion on the phone to play with.

Here again, I do take my phone with me so I can snap pics of anything I put down and call my wife "honey! meet me at the ranch gate in an hour, you've got to see this!" (true story, heh)

I hunt on about 825 acres of which I know backwards and forwards so getting above mildly turned around is not likely to happen. If I'm looking at my phone and walking, I may well step off a 150 ft bluff to my doom.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Primos Wind Checker!! Awesome app for .99
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the most convenient apps i've used for my phone, which I believe is pretty much available for any "standard platform" phone (blackberry, droid, iphone) is googlemaps.

I use www.google.com/maps to construct maps of my hunting areas. I can then print paper maps (computer drawn topos over road map on one side, the same landmarks and roads overlaid on the satellite image on the other side), as well as access the map itself through the mobile app.

I can overlay game trails, stand locations, bedding areas, den sites, property lines, roads, parking locations, feeding areas, food plots, feeder locations, watering holes, rivers, draws, trail camera locations, rub lines, etc etc etc. I can even embed photo albums taken by my game camera, or photos I've taken while scouting.

Again, the computer based app lets me print off my own topos and satellite view maps, my phone helps me generate topos by having a GPS and altitude function, and all of it is accessible during my hunt.

And google/maps is free...

As far as other hunting apps goes, two buddies of mine (that don't know eachother, guys in different states) that I call coyotes with downloaded coyote call apps for their droids. One uses a self-amplified speaker, the other just uses the phone speaker, but both have said that "it's the best sounding E-Caller they've used" (in place of their $400-500 factory models). I've been calling with them using the droids, and frankly, it DOES work. I personally would recommend the self-powered speakers to increase the range, and not blow out my phone speaker, but the phone actually does very well too.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Spike

I just got this one for logging deer activity:

Tree Squat'R

Seems to work well as long as you have a connection plus the sharing feature works good for a bunch of us in a group that share stands.

Last edited by WI_Hunter1; 05-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone find a good GPS App where you can mark and name spots to return to later???
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

my tracks is great. it is kind of like googlemaps but it tracks where you go and you can pin places where you have been. it is great for shed hunting and any upland game
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

angry birds
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Spike

Default My duck log app updated again

My Duck Log (iphone) has been updated again. Aside from all of the original features, the app includes a mapping feature that marks your hunt areas and let you add text, audio, pics and video notes! It also has waterfowl identification, facebook and Twitter sharing. You can also use their companion website for no charge. The upland game app -My Bird Log - was also updated and now there's an app for mushroom hunters. A fishing app is due out soon!