Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buying land with others?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another worthless write-up by MDH that nobody cares about. Love it!

I've been thinking about buying some land with my father in-law and my brother in-law. We would be paying out of pocket equally with no loans. I've been hesitant for some time now because I don't want headaches down the road if one of us wanted out.

This thread has helped me out and given me a few laughs.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Spike

" I wish I could find some land for that. Land near my house has been going for around $5000/acre. There are 318 acres being auctioned off tomorrow about 6 miles from my house. They owners said they won't take less than $5,500/acre. It's prime hunting."
No one around here owns 300 acres of land except grape farmers along the lake. 1500$ acre is if it has just been clear cut. I did not say that finding the land would be easy. One of the largest i have found is 128 acres for $185,000. Half of it is field and that is a rare find.

Last edited by skillet01; 10-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Spike

Not trying to sound like a jerk to ya man but what the logical thing to do would be to split the land in half and you buy part and he buys the other part.

Example: You, bob, and steve want to buy 500 acres of land. Well instead chop that 500 acres into thirds. We did something similar to this years ago. My dad bought 240 acres all by himself with the intent of selling 110 to a friend. My dad and friend carved out his 110 and he owns it. But we hunt all 240. It's just in the end my dad owns half and his friend does too. This financially allowed for everything to work and no disputes on what to do in the end. We did this to avoid most of the responses found on this thread. Good luck
Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

I thought about doing this with relatives but ended up getting in on a lease and it's worked just as well and is a whole lot cheaper.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Maryland_Whitetail
Anyone have The Notes Of Cliff on this?
Originally Posted by fletch920
Yes.

There was fighting. No women allowed. He and his Dad know everybody in town. There is a new road that is a scenic drive. Dont buy ground with others.

The end.
haha this cracks me up!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I belong to a couple of "clubs" where the members own the land. One (same as RR) where appx 480 members own close to 12,000 acres. Another where 15 of us own 400 acres.

You have to determine what your goal is. To have permanent place to hunt or buy land for an investment and hunt it while you own it (with the intention of selling it all one day, perhaps).
To set it up correctly, you have to form a corporation with the corporation directly owning the land and members holding shares of "stock" in the corporation. Anything else and you are going to have problems (ESPECIALLY with a disgruntled "member" or two)..so do not let the deed be in the names of 12 different guys, for example.

you need to form by-laws, think about annual dues, ways to reduce property taxes (like perhaps using part of the land to farm, or for some federal/state wildlife program with correlating tax breaks, etc).

most importantly. In no way, shape or form, allow a mortgage on the place with members expected to make substantial payments over some term. What happens if a member or two can't come up with the money...perhaps for years?? you gonna cover it or lose your land?? I know you can say that you'd sell their share and all, but THAT may not work. Instead the land should be purchased outright, with each individual member coming up with their own individual financing (if neccesary).

It can work, but there are pitfalls to be avoided
Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Spike

Default buy and sell land for FREE at LandSeen

landseen.com
Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Spike

I would never buy land with anyone unless you buy it together then legally separate it into private sections. JMO
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Buying land

Originally Posted by skillet01
Looking into buying some hunting land with a few other guys. Has any one done this before. IF so what advice you would give? Do you set if up as a business/club with robert rules of order? How many guys is too many or not enough? How much acerage is enough for several guys to hunt. (located in nw pa mostly wooded land with few fields).
I currently own 49 acres in ny state. I could sell it and use the cash to buy my more acres in pa. I think i would rather keep it and buy more with a few other guys. Looking for some advice
One example of a guy i know that is involed in buying land with others has a buy back policy. IF at any time you want out of the deal the club/ business with buy you out with a 6% return on your investment (with 1 year advanced notice).

Equal partnership, NEVER. Buy the property if you can do it and keep complete control with conditions they can use it if they contribute paying and labor to keep it going. Whether you own land or just have access to land you have to have complete control or it will be taken over by someone that decides they don't have to listen to anyone because it is now theirs. I have been through this and believe me it is not worth it. You will lose what you are trying to build and your property too.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Personal experience. I DO believe that partnerships can work. I still believe in ethics and that there is still good in people even when things come up. We owned land together with my FAMILY, for yeeeeeears. Family that we were best friends with and did literally EVERYthing with since before I was born...Well, lets just say, we no longer talk. The land dispute (among other factors) was the the final nail. We ended up having to sell our half off to them just to get out of the situation. It is very difficult. You never Really know someones true character until money is involved and its unfortunate that something material like money can break up lifes most important bonds. Anyways, I think id be a land partner again if the right friend/family situation arose but, it is Very tough