Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to tell what ammo your gun "likes" >

How to tell what ammo your gun "likes"

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to tell what ammo your gun "likes"

Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GregH
Where did you come from, Mr. deer hunter?

He is a real tool. That's for sure.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
...I always buy 3-4 different brands of ammo to try...
That's what I was wondering. 3 or 4 brands seems reasonable, but I wasn't sure if most guys were out there trying a dozen different types of ammo or not.

Originally Posted by lswoody
You should be alright.
To clarify, I wasn't asking if my grouping was good or wanting validation on that. I wanted to know more-so the process that most people go through when trying to find the right ammo for their gun (i.e., do you just try 2 or 3 brands or do you literally try all of them?). I feel I got lucky that I had someone to point me toward a brand that they already knew worked with that gun.

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
1 MOA is plenty fine for what you'll be doing; there is no urgent need to find a better-grouping load. Over time you can try different manufacturer's loads to see if there's anything that your rifle will shoot better.

I bought a gun last season that was shooting over 4 inch groups with the different types of ammo I was buying. It was very frustrating and it had to be solved before going into the field with that gun. I finally tripped over a load that the gun loved and the groups shrank down to less than an inch. Funny how that happens.
Thaaaat's what I didn't know. I just kept reading that 'every gun is different, and two identical guns may like two totally different types of ammunition', but I didn't know what they meant specifically. I didn't know if it was mostly a matter of grouping (and if so, are we talking a 1/2" difference between brands, or potentially a 5" difference?), or just how well the rifle loaded the bullets without hanging up, etc. It was just one of those things you often hear people say, but personally, I didn't know what it meant.

Okay, cool. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Originally Posted by ZeroPt99
I had my groups within an inch at 100 yards, so I left the range happy that day.
Ok, honestly now, if you're having that sort of group and are happy with that, what is the point of your thread? You know that's a decent 100 yard hunting group. You would have been better off just saying the first batch of ammunition you tried, did well, etc. 1" groups are good for a hunting rifle at 100 yards for deer!

You did get fortunate not having to go and try several different brands and sizes, shapes of bullets, etc, to get what you wanted in a group.

iSnipe
Guess you deleted this post, I'm not sure...but again, I was mostly asking the guys about the criteria & method they use for determining what ammo their gun 'prefers'. That was the point of my thread, not asking if people thought my groups were good enough.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Since the range you are hunting at most bullets will get the job done.

I would suggest every time you buy more ammo try a different one.
Use some for hunting and shoot some down range. Keep track of each, over time you will find which one your gun likes. And all will get the job done.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

What ammo a rifle likes has a couple factors that play into the equation.
Those are projectile weight and velocity.
The constants that affect the accuracy are the barrel length, twist of the rifling, trueness of the action and chamber.
When a cartridge is fired, the barrel makes an extremely small "wave" as the bullet goes down the bore. Finding the best combination of primer, powder, case, and projectile is essentially finding the combination of ingredients to achieve the most consistent accuracy to hit that "wave" at exactly the same point with every shot, IE consistent velocity.
It took me about 100 shots through my Savage to get the loads dialed in properly.
I did the research on the barrel and caliber combination I have, and found that most folks had the best accuracy with 165-168 grain bullets, pushed by CCI primers and 59-62 grains of H380 powder. Mine likes 60.1 the best.
For factory ammo, you can do something similar by doing a little research.
Find reloaders that will talk with you about the loads they use in guns like yours (caliber, barrel, twist rate, length), and get the projectile weights and velocities they're seeing the best results with.
Take that information, and match it up with the information on the factory ammo.
You can usually find something that's pretty close, within 100 fps or so, that your rifle will digest well for you.
To get true peak performance from your rifle, you'll want to handload. It's easy, safe, and you can get started for less than $200.
The side benefit for reloading? Cheaper ammo, so you can shoot more for less money.