Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to tell what ammo your gun "likes" >

How to tell what ammo your gun "likes"

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to tell what ammo your gun "likes"

Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Spike

Default How to tell what ammo your gun "likes"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys. Grew up hunting small game. Nearly 30 now and want to get into deer hunting. Bought a rifle with a scope and have been to the range a few times.

I've got the gun sighted in fairly well I feel like. So far I've just been shooting Hornady ammo since the guy I bought it from prefers that.

I keep hearing about how all guns are different and you have to figure out what ammo your gun likes.

Stupid question - how the heck do I know what it likes? With the cost of ammo at $1/bullet - does that mean I have to spend a small fortune trying a box of each at the range each weekend to see which kind I can shoot the most accurately with? Hopefully not.

If I can group reasonably well with the Hornady factory ammo at 100 yards - can't I just stick with that? Where I plan to hunt this year, shots usually don't get much further than that anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

It does seem to be true that guns will shoot different ammo differently, some better than others. As for grouping, if I want to drive a tack I use my thumb. If I want to shoot deer, than you don't need a tack driver. I am much more of a hunter than a shooter so if my gun is grouping a couple inches at 100 yards that is plenty good for me. But I hunt where I only get 100 yard or less shots. If I was in the midwest or west where the shots could got 200+ yards, then I might want to tighten up the groups.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Hornady's will be fine...

When I buy a new gun, be it rifle, pistol or even turkey gun I always buy 3-4 different brands of ammo to try...

I start with the cheaper Federal, Winchester and Remington loadings as they will all kill deer...Usually you can find these for about $15.00 a box...

But the Hornady's will do fine as well...
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
...if my gun is grouping a couple inches at 100 yards that is plenty good for me.
I had my groups within an inch at 100 yards, so I left the range happy that day. From what I'm told, the woods we'll be hunting in this November rarely provide for shots longer than about 150 yards on the high end, with the typical range being under 100.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ZeroPt99
I had my groups within an inch at 100 yards, so I left the range happy that day. From what I'm told, the woods we'll be hunting in this November rarely provide for shots longer than about 150 yards on the high end, with the typical range being under 100.

You should be alright.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

There is some things missing to your story, the first of which is where you live and where you plan to hunt.
The only advantage to buying a pre owned hunting rifle for me would be the fact that if I knew the person who owned it and the brand of shells that he shot in it - then I could decide if I wanted to shoot the same brand of shells - because in theory - it is already sighted in.

Another thing you failed to mention - I guess because you are inexperienced when it comes to guns so you don't even realize that you didn't even mention which caliber of gun you are shooting, what scope is on the gun and how far you plan to shoot.

In the grand scheme of things, 100 yards is not all that far, but $20 a box for shells is cheap. Especially when you get into magnum loads.
So realistically speaking if $20 for a box of shells is going to break the bank - you might want to get into a different sport - because hunting is a loosing proposition.

I explained to someone just the other day how I probably go $1000 or more a year in the hole, just going deer hunting and that does not count the lost wages due to me being out in the woods.
Deer meat is not cheap and it is not free. Unless someone shoots one and it falls dead in your front yard and someone offers to cut it up for free and give you all the meat.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

Where did you come from, Mr. deer hunter?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GregH
Where did you come from, Mr. deer hunter?

LOL, wherever it is Greg, I wish he would go back there.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ZeroPt99
1 MOA is plenty fine for what you'll be doing; there is no urgent need to find a better-grouping load. Over time you can try different manufacturer's loads to see if there's anything that your rifle will shoot better.

I bought a gun last season that was shooting over 4 inch groups with the different types of ammo I was buying. It was very frustrating and it had to be solved before going into the field with that gun. I finally tripped over a load that the gun loved and the groups shrank down to less than an inch. Funny how that happens.

Anyway, you'll do just fine with the Hornady load you are shooting.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I think you have a pretty good group. Be sure to stick with the same ammo and the same grain weight, otherwise you will lose your grouping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.