HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do you hunt swamps? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/331134-how-do-you-hunt-swamps.html)

7.62NATO 10-04-2010 06:13 AM

How do you hunt swamps?

I was doing some scouting yesterday, and there is some very swampy bottom in my area. I don't really know the difference between a swamp and a marsh, but there are trees sporadically (lots of them dead), and the water was deep enough to for a beaver to be swimming in (very cool sight to see). The swamp is at the northern/northwestern border of this farm and in the pic below, it's very white in color (presumably from a foggy day). Now, further to the west (where the area gets bigger), it all but turns into a pond. As you an see, it borders on the slight downhill slope...maybe 50 feet (which you can't see) of the woods. I wish I had waders because I'd love to explore it more, but it did not seem like the entire bottom was flooded. lots of vegetation, and then pools of water.

One of my main questions, DO DEER BED IN SWAMPS? I'm assuming that there are good patches of dry land, and if there are, that the deer know WHERE they are, and because of the dense vegetation, there is excellent cover.

Thoughts?

mac266 10-04-2010 06:27 AM

1- Put out duck decoys on a U shape, the open end toward you.

2- Camoflage yourself.

3- Shoot ducks when they fly in.

Seriously, I have no idea how to hunt marshes / swamps for deer, but they make great duck hunting areas.

Huntingtherut 10-04-2010 06:59 AM

Some of the biggest deer I have seen while hunting have been in swamps. I dont archery hunt in them, but we do drive them out during rifle season. We put our chest waders on and go in after them. Believe it or not, I have kicked a few monsters up that were bedding in the water in the dead of winter. Usually they are on little islands in the middle though. They are tough to get out, but once you figure them out, it can be very succesful. If you can find a funnell where the deer can stay on dry land to get out in the middle of the swamp, that is where you want to be.

UncleNorby 10-04-2010 07:00 AM

Deer definitely use swampy areas. Knolls or "islands" in swamps are great bedding areas, assuming deer can get to them easily enough. Pressured deer will often retreat to such areas.

If there is much water, deer will skirt the edges. If there is food in there, like swamp white oak acorns, the deer will be in there and won't need to come out. I like to stillhunt, and swamps are great for this. Usually, knee high rubber boots are enough. Some guys do use waders, even if it's just to get to a stand without spooking deer.

Night Crawler 10-04-2010 07:00 AM

yes if the deer are pressured they will bed up on the islands of the swamps. where I hunt they don't usually do this till they start running dogs. I have seen an island in a swamp on my farm and bumped 15 deer out f it one day, now it is my got to during the rut. you need to find some evidence that deer are using it and that should be very easy.

7.62NATO 10-04-2010 07:20 AM

I bet a tree stand would be helpful too...to get up high and do a lot of glassing for bedded deer. A tree stand is on my list...probably for next season though!

Will gaiters keep you dry? I have pac boots with rubber lowers and leather uppers.

Ohboy 10-04-2010 07:26 AM

where at in VA are you? nice looking peice of property btw.

7.62NATO 10-04-2010 07:30 AM

I'm in Midlothian but the property is in Ladysmith.

vapahunter 10-04-2010 12:11 PM

looks like a nice area. good luck from another Midlo resident. i hunt mostly Amelia county.

7.62NATO 10-04-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by vapahunter (Post 3695180)
looks like a nice area. good luck from another Midlo resident. i hunt mostly Amelia county.

Thanks. Where in Amelia do you hunt? Have you had good success? I tried asking permission at a few places but no luck. I plan to hunt between this place and Pocahontas this season. Have never tried Amelia WMA.