Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Monster buck...been chasing him for 5 years...HELP!!! >

Monster buck...been chasing him for 5 years...HELP!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Monster buck...been chasing him for 5 years...HELP!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default Monster buck...been chasing him for 5 years...HELP!!!

I went out to fill up the feeders and check the game cams....and guess what I saw...the buck I name "Ghost" he is a 28 pointer....and im been after him for years....i saw him at the west end of the property tree line... and he is so massive and wasnt scared of me at alll..... I hardly every see him...a few times a year

my question is what is my best time to see him...i know the rut and he made a huge rub on a cedar tree where i saw him.... I know its his Home...

we have 2 feeders 6 game cams but no bucks on the cams...

we hunt 150 acres...

it is to warm for the bucks to move? i passed 13 does last friday opening day in hopes he will be coming by...but never did
Old 10-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good news is that ghost has a lot of offspring in the area. If he was mature, at 5 years of age when he was first seen and you are still seeing him with a big rack 5 years later, I would guess what you are seeing now is an offspring of his. A 9 or 10 year old buck would be past his prime antler size.
The rut is the best time to hunt bucks, just be sure not to try and hunt when the wind is not in your favor. If you spook him out of there a couple of times you won't be seeing him in the daylight.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

The best time to see him is and could be any time. As long as your in the woods and in his area it could happen any time. Play the wind and do everything in your power to tip the scales in your favor. Like they say..........can't kill'em on the couch.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

so i saw ghost this morning.... and he was with a son... a miny.....together still?

i was in a texas tree stand.... and was 300 yards away from him.... and his son had 14 points....

he showed up @ 751 am and stayed till 835ish and left but its the first time he went to the tripod feeder and my cam was dead outta batteries... FML....but ive got new batts and i hunted this evening but they didnt show....

youll think he will return in am?

i would score him in the 175ish b&c
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

would love to see the cam pics.Good luck gettin him
Old 10-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

man i hope you get him cause i want to see pics!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Spike

This veteran of the woods is likely primarily nocturnal, as many dominant long lived bucks are. Your best chance, in my opinion, is during the rut, especially around the full or new moon. Hunt his rub line, but be aware he probably has a huge territory. You might try fooling him to thinking there is another dominant buck in the area with some dominant buck lure, but I'm guessing he might be too smart for that. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Other than the rut you best chance of getting a chance at a dominate buck is to go where he sleeps. Old mature deer dont have the range on a normal day that a young buck would. From what i have read recently and seen recently on tv is that a hunter will walk into an area, jump a big buck from a bedding area, then the hunter just goes 20 yards away and puts up the stand and waits for the boy to return. The theory behind this is mature deer are like 50 year old men, and they have had that home where no one has ever bothered them before so they will just come back and lay down. People can disagree with this, i know they will. but if you dont see him in the rut, what other chance do you have?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

28 points you say I can help, send me a plane ticket and I will come down there and take care of your ghost problems. you may want to lay off the peyote while hunting.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

sadly we have all been in your situation one way or another. sometimes theres just that one buck that is impossible to pattern, or find for that matter. its not like on TV where they talk about patterning deer but what they fail to mention is typically they are hunting hundreds, if not thousands of acres. just my 2 cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.