Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is your position on this "Monster Buck rule" when hunting on his land? >

What is your position on this "Monster Buck rule" when hunting on his land?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your position on this "Monster Buck rule" when hunting on his land?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by propaganda
I know it's harder for guys that don't have a lot of public land to hunt but I am lucky to live in Alberta with 100,000,000 acres or so public. The guys I do hunt with are so unselfish that way, even friends that own land, they are happy to let you shoot a big buck. Most the time we fight about telling the other guy "you shoot you shoot!" and the buck gets away lol.
I feel the same way in you do in British Columbia. Lucy to live here.
All my hunting buddies are unselfish as well.
Exept we are all in kill mode, so that Trophy animal doesn't have much of a chance. If you have a tag you shoot. We all help back out and pitch in money and time to divide the meat amongst us.The lucky trigger puller gets the mount. The rest of us live with lots picture memeries cause we are into the beer by then and don't remember anything else.We are sober till a kill happens than the hunting for the day stops, and the cleaning and packing party begins and doesn't stop till 11:00 that night. Then we sober up and are in kill mode the next morning. I love living on the bush and Mountains of British Columbia for a couple of weeks.I wish I could just get lost there
forever. Maybe oneday I will.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Their land, their rules. If you don't like them, then you probably need to find another place to hunt.
Well said. I wouldn't like it either but you don't really have much choice in the matter.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Angry

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
The point of my rant is that the person that you are hunting with is immature and all they are out for is themselves.
My BS meter just went off.

If the guy was out for himself, then he wouldn't have invited anyone else to hunt with him. LOL!

============================

The "cousin" is in the right here. That's fact. The poor timing of his demands is what at issue here. The cousin didn't lay down the law about what animals to shoot or not to shoot ahead of time. I'm sure if he would have thought out that scenario beforehand, then he would have told the OP that right off.

Landowners all across the US, Canada and elsewhere are kind enough to let people on their land to hunt. They ARE the ones who lay down the law. If they don't want wall hangers shot because they want a crack at them themselves, then that's a done deal... NO wall hangers.

The cousin here technically is not the owner, from what I quickly read, but since he's the original person who went through the trouble of asking permission and brought others to hunt with him, then it's his prerogative to lay down the law as he sees fit. Fact.

iSnipe
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

Sounds like you're going to be looking for a new friend before long. I hunt with 4 guys and I take no stance on who shoots what as well as do they. If a buck happens by ones stand and he or she has the shot then sobeit. I'll congradulate them on it as they would for me. You're cousin is being selfish if you ask me.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

shoot the beast and find a new spot to hunt... he is a selfish dick... part of the joy of hunting is shariong it with someone. I have taken friends hunting and watched them shoot a buck I had watched a;ll year and been happy for them.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is this their land their rules B.S.
This is Not his cousins land, it's his cousins inlaws.
His cousin has absolutely no legal right to tell this person he can't shoot a trophy because he wants to shoot it himself. And this person is in no way legally to obey this rule after the fact, which was after it was spotted.Absolutely no legal or moral right anywhere that I can find to why this fellow can't shoot this buck ,unless it comes from the land owners mouth. Shoot the thing and answer the questions later.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

I say find a place to hunt and invite him. Then tell him about this huge buck you have been seeing every evening in this one particular spot. Let this go on for a week or to. Put him close to it and tell him all you can kill is a doe!!! Maybe that will open his eyes. But, if you are hunting with him as a guest I say don't shoot.

OR...........

Turn a pack of dogs loose at night and shoot it in the head by spot light...... At no closer that 700 yards.....While it is running....
Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

[B][B] I would just go find another place to hunt,if you are in the midwest then there is plenty of big bucks for the taking,most likely other big bucks on the property you are hunting,but I would bet he would say that about every big buck you guys see my advice to you is don't communicate with him when you guys are hunting and hunt as far away from him as possible if you see a big buck shoot it if you cant shoot it or you miss don't mention it to him.

I take my cousin gun hunting in my spot every year I would never throw some kinda rule like that on him,I put him on a big hillside where I have seen one of the biggest bucks I ever saw in my life doesn't worry me a bit cause I know there is plenty of big bucks out there.I will be hunting the spot this year tho cause he is deployed in Egypt.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 10-03-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

What a jerk! Not much of a friend either. I,ve walked my a$$ off before, for friends hoping to flush something out and they might get a shot.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kyslayer
shoot the beast and find a new spot to hunt... he is a selfish dick... part of the joy of hunting is shariong it with someone. I have taken friends hunting and watched them shoot a buck I had watched a;ll year and been happy for them.
I agree. I wouldn't hunt with him anymore. I have really good hunting land in Ohio that I could keep all to myself, but every year I invite army buddies to hunt with me. He is immature, and he has NO right. It wouldnt even help him track it or drag it out. And I'll do that for any hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.