Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
vacuum sealer and meat grinders >

vacuum sealer and meat grinders

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

vacuum sealer and meat grinders

Old 10-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

When the time comes, when I get my remodel job done on my house, this is the processing tool that I am going to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Meat-Butcher-G.../dp/B000KPS5IE
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
Just a little question for you Rynigner - if you had to do it all over again, would you buy a cheap grinder from Cabella's for $100 or would you buy the grinder and motor set up that you presently own.
I would do what I did everyday of the week versus buying an electric one.... With the gearing the shaft speed is about 70rpm's, and it'll grind up anything that can be dropped in it. No extra trimming or slicing is needed because of the grinder. I plan on getting some scrap metal and reworking the base so it's easier to carry and disassemble for cleaning. Other electric grinders that claim to be 3/4hp, the whole case and all are smaller than what my motor is alone. So I have more faith in my motor versus theirs.

FWIW, some of my hunting buddies have electric grinders ranging from kitchen aide accessory, gander mountain bought, and cabelas bought. One other buddy has a similar setup to mine. Whenever we have a group hunt, they always wanna know if one of us will be bringing our grinder. For the $150 I've got invested in it, I would put it up against anything store bought. It's just an animal, and grinds the meat very well w/o any jamming issues.

For safety reasons, My brother and I are the only ones allowed to operate my grinder. I don't loan it out either. Being belt driven, and the throat being large enough for your arm to fit in, someone not being careful could lose a hand or arm.

It was a fun project to put together, and a great purchase!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got this grinder on sale at Gander Mountain for $79.99 a couple years ago. Saved $100 of list price.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ils_box_holder

I've ground over 200lbs of meat in the last 2 years with it and it hasn't ever clogged. I didn't know you weren't supposed to be able to grind pork fat though, because I've been doing that when I make my sausage adding pork fat from the store with wild pork when I grind it. It does grind a little slower on pork fat, but not bad.

On the vaccumm sealer, I bought the medium priced one ($100 at Walmart) and it works fine. The only drawback that it has is if you are sealing to quickly it overheats and you have to wait a little while before you can start sealing again. It only happens if I you are making a bunch of bags up all at the same time or something like that and I don't think it would be worth the extra $ just so it would seal quicker.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to accomplish. last year i went to bass pro and bought a #8 LEM grinder, and the tenderizer attatchment, among other stuff. cost me $950, but when you figure it cost me 4-500 a year for processing, and i know that i'm getting my deer back and whats in it.
look up LEM, they have the equipment as well as spices and supplies.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

This is the company where I buy my spices for making sausage.

http://www.conyeagerspice.com/about_us.htm

They are the premier distributor for spices in my area and all the grocery stores and butcher shops buys their products for their own home made sausage that they sell.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Spike

I bought a lot of "home" grinders that failed pretty quickly. Then I bought one from LEM (www.lemproducts.com). Lots of deer and hogs through that machine w/o a hiccup. It's not cheap but will save money in the long run (not to mention time!)

I have best luck vacuum packing ground bulk and patties if they are first frozen then vacuum packed.

Consider getting a cuber too. Lots you can do w cube steaks from "lesser cuts".

Good luck processing you own. Hope you get LOT'S of practice this year