Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need help with stand placement... >

Need help with stand placement...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with stand placement...

Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with stand placement...

Hey guys,
Wouldn't mind some help from some more experienced hunters.... The yellow outline is the boundry I can hunt. The blue lines are ravines, mostly pretty significant or would have been leveled for farm land/pasture. The red shaded areas that get high pressure. Not so much during bow, though. The yellow shaded area has been buldozed and now a hay field. The yellow X's are previous places. The circled locations are stands which I have only seen or taken a doe. The other 2 no luck period.... This year I am thinking possibly where the 2 red X's are unless you all can think of a better spot... Which can be hard from a photo, I know.

Thanks for any input!
R
Attached Thumbnails Need help with stand placement...-hunting1.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Based off a quick assessment of your property I would place my stands where the circled yellow x's are. Remember high bluffs hunt the saddles and draws. Or field edges off high bluffs. Sometimes deer will cut a ridge ih half and have a trail paralleling the ridge. Good luck!

Looks like bluffs along the Mississippi River. Maybe WI, MN, IL? Am I close?
Attached Thumbnails Need help with stand placement...-hunting1.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input! This land is in NW Indiana.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't know they had bluffs like that there. Pretty nice lookin land.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be looking for a stand placement down on the South east corner. I like the seclusion of the hay field and the narrow ravines. Get down there and maybe get away from the crowds a little more too. Looks like some great land to plan some drives on. I can vision those narrow fingers holding lots of deer.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Fork Horn

The two SE circled "x" would be my first choice..
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Fork Horn

What is in the fields?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckwild41
The two SE circled "x" would be my first choice..
x2

NW pressure should funnel the deer toward your proposed stand by the cleared field.

Those two SE stands the previous poster identified is where I would sit provided there are food sources in those surrounding field. Looks like all that borders on the East side is a highway and lots of hardwood.

Also, find the oaks and hunt the ridges of these and you should see deer.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-01-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the right side of the middle ravine where it gets the narrowest. That looks like an excellent funnel for deer to travel all the way across the property without walking into the open fields.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the Help and input Deernutz, and everyone else! I hunted all day yesterday (opening day here) at the middle SE location. Don't know the woods all that well on the furthermost SE location and will go there for an evening hunt to get the lay better memorized for morning hunts.

I didn't see anything in the morning anywhere, which was unusual as I always see deer in the fields on the west end of the property as I'm driving in and out for hunting... About 1730 they started moving and I ended up seeing 4 doe, shot a nice one. She ended up running back in from where she came, so I will not hunt that area for a while. We tracked her for a good bit in there, so since we were in there stinking it up will lay off for a bit. I definitely like that location, and will hunt it again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.