Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips for a beginner hunter

Old 09-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

You'll learn something new every time you encounter a deer. I've been hunting for over 45 years now and shot a ton of deer with bow, rifle and muzzleloader. You will soon learn that deer are individuals. Some are pretty savy and others I swear are 'dumb as stumps'. These are the ones that meet their demise early.
I've once heard it said that for every deer you see there are two that saw you that you never knew were around. True or not, if you keep that in the back of your mind, it may force you to be more vigilant while your out there.
Remember though, the kill isn't the most important thing. Yeah, getting a deer is great. Especially for a beginner like yourself. But when you get my age, its just a pleasure being out and enjoying nature. It may sound corny but its true. I can remember several times when I drew my bow back and settled the sight behind the shoulder of a legal deer then slowly lowered it and thought, "Yep, I got you." Then watched it walk away. But not only was this satisfying for me but also provided training when and if Mr. Big showed up. And if I got busted, then it was another lesson learned.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

All the above are great tips! I might add, It takes time and lots of practice. Be patient and you will get steadily better. I hunted deer with a straight bow when I started. There were no compound bows then and it took me 5 years before I finally got a deer, but boy was it worth the waite. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a couple stands for each wind and try not to overhunt your stand locations. Deer sighting will dwindle if you overhunt an area. Always hunt downwind of the trail. Try to keep your clothing smelling like your surroundings. It's hard to beat a deers nose. Just enjoy it.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WIbuckchaser
Have a couple stands for each wind and try not to overhunt your stand locations. Deer sighting will dwindle if you overhunt an area.
Cannot overemphasize this point, especially with bow hunting. You need the deer in close to you, and if you over hunt an area they will start going around that spot. I've actually observed from a distance deer going out of their way to avoid some guys' stands because they hunted them too often. My personal rule is don't hunt a stand more than once a week, preferably two. But use what works best for you (some guys don't have access to as many spots to rotate them as easily).
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry if Im repeating what other have already said, I didnt read any other responses. Heres my advice for what its worth.

-Hunt the thickest brush you can find.
-Only take shots you are positive you can make.
-The more time you spend in the stand the more chance you have of seeing game. Deer move at all times of the day, and in any weather.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

It seems a lot of good advise has been put on here,,the only thing I can see that isn't up here is scent control,,I start washing with the green soap a couple weeks before I go bow hunting. The reason for this is your hair can hold odors for several weeks, and most of the regular shampoos have some kind of purfume in it. So why take the chance. I also spray and use scent control clothing. I know it works, I have had lots of deer downwind of me, some within yards and I was on the ground. There's never too much as too much scent control. Good luck with your hunting this year,,I didn't see what state you were in.

Good luck hunting this year everyone, and be safe
Old 10-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

All of this is getting me excited for the upcoming season. As with bow, when I started, I was shooting pretty good in a t shirt and warm afternoon temps. 1st time out for the season it was in upper 30's and I had alot more clothes on. Well that made a big difference as did the cold temp on my bow. So practice in all weather with what ur gonna wear out there.