HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Illinois, Missouri deer hunting dilemma (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330715-illinois-missouri-deer-hunting-dilemma.html)

kelleno 09-27-2010 01:42 PM

Illinois, Missouri deer hunting dilemma

Hey guys, a week ago or so my dad found out we have permission to hunt a few farms that a family members friend owns. The farms are in White County Illinois, Grayville to be exact. I thought this sounded amazing. River bottom farmground in Eastern Illinois. My Dad and my brother do not seem enthused at all though! I'm used to hunting central and southern Missouri. I see an average of about 1 deer per 2 sittings.

The drive is a little less than three hours, but we do that for our deer hunting spot now.

How can I get them to want to go check the farms out???

Thanks guys!

Kellen

blackhawk_archery 09-27-2010 02:42 PM

Tell them to google Illinois river bottom bucks.

Kid 09-28-2010 07:03 AM

Have him take a look at this.

www.northamericanwhitetail.com/trophybucks/NAW_1007_08/index.html

kelleno 09-28-2010 11:34 AM

Haha Kid, already sent that to my brother a couple days ago in an email.

Gladius87 09-28-2010 12:22 PM

It shouldn't take any convincing. I go to school in Southeast Missouri, and I could get tags at in state rates here... but I don't even have to debate whether I want to hunt in Missouri or Illinois. The deer in the southern part of MO are usually scrawny (except the one that lives behind my house in the middle of Cape Girardeau).

Rory/MO 09-28-2010 12:35 PM

Personally I really don't see the point in wasting our second week of gun season and spending my bank account to hunt over there.

blackhawk_archery 09-28-2010 06:11 PM

Kidd,thats a nice buck but you have to wonder if he really shot the deer or not,usually during the 2nd gun season there is snow on the ground and a deer wouldn't spoil in 2 days,unless it was a warm December im not sure.

SecondChance 09-28-2010 07:33 PM

My wife and I have property to hunt in the county border to the East of White county (Clark) and when that buck was killed, my buddies brother saw that deer the weekend it was killed. He works oil rigs over there and knows the family. We average 6 deer per trip out. There are ALOT of deer over there!!!! There was another deer in the 180+ class killed the next year as well in the area. :deer:

Kid 09-29-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3691583)
Kidd,thats a nice buck but you have to wonder if he really shot the deer or not,usually during the 2nd gun season there is snow on the ground and a deer wouldn't spoil in 2 days,unless it was a warm December im not sure.

Rarely is there snow on the ground that far south in Illinois that time of year. I hunt in White County and it was rainy and warm during the second season in 2006. It would have spoiled easy in 2 days that year. My Brother-in-law knows the guy who killed this Deer and it was legit. White County might be the best kept secret in Illinois. Though the outfitters are starting to take over.

UncleNorby 09-29-2010 05:53 AM

If it were me, and I had access to a vehicle, I'd go alone if I had to. Seeing 1 deer per 2 stands is not hard to beat. Illinois will probably be more productive, even if you have not been there before. Will your permission allow you to go by yourself?

Shoot a nice buck and they'll want to come along next time.