Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow hunting question

Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Spike

Question Bow hunting question

I am new to bow hunting. I have been hunting my whole life but wanted to try something new. I just got my bow a few weeks ago and I am loving it!! One thing I have noticed though is I think I might be drawing my bow wrong...

I am right handed and after shooting about 5 arrows my left arm will really start to hurt. My bow is set at 60 pound pull and the draw weight is not a problem for me. I just feel like I might be drawing the bow wrong. Can I get some feed back on the proper way on how to draw it back?

Thanks,
Sevi316
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome to hunting net, i think your best bet would be go shoot at a range and have an experienced archer check out your form, it means the world when it comes to stix and strings, you think you like it now wait till your around some game, i still rifle hunt a little, but i prefer the bow
Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, have a reputable archery shop check your form. I have seen alot of draw length's set to long. It also is very physical requiring some training in drawing and holding the bow back.
on another note bow hunting is the bomb, nothing like honing your skills and taking game at 30yds. the rush is un-describable, been doing it for 10yrs with many many kills and still get pumped.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm willing to bet you draw length is to long and your locking your elbow
Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sevi316
I am new to bow hunting. I have been hunting my whole life but wanted to try something new. I just got my bow a few weeks ago and I am loving it!! One thing I have noticed though is I think I might be drawing my bow wrong...

I am right handed and after shooting about 5 arrows my left arm will really start to hurt. My bow is set at 60 pound pull and the draw weight is not a problem for me. I just feel like I might be drawing the bow wrong. Can I get some feed back on the proper way on how to draw it back?

Thanks,
Sevi316

Ideally the only thing on your body that should be moving while drawing your bow would be your shooting arm. You may be pushing the bow with your left arm as your draw too.

Post a vid or a pic of your form and many on here will help figure it out.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may take awhile to develop your archery muscles.... it ain't a bad idea to have somebody take a peek at your draw, but also give yourself time to condition to the new sport.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Spike

re: string slap on arm... As someone who has been shooting a long time, my first guess is that your draw length is to long. Visit a local "pro-shop" not a box store and have them check your draw length and change draw modules if needed.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

best thing to do is to have an experienced bowhunter/shooter look at your form
Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Also make sure your whisker biscuit or whatever your type of guide is not loose. Same for the sight.