Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: how would you hunt please vote
ladder treestand 6'-11' high
20.97%
ground blind
46.77%
on ground next to tree
32.26%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

how would you hunt?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Spike

Default how would you hunt?

My dad and I will be hunting public land this year. We will have to take evrything in and out each day we hunt. Can you guys help me out on how you would hunt. Either treestand 6-11 foot high, ground blind, or on ground sitting next to tree.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Spike

I generally hunt public on the ground, but that's cauz I don't trust climbers. I had a friend who had one fall on him and he was basically trapped in the woods because he couldn't get up on his own. He had several broken bones. It'll also be much easier carrying that big boy outta there if you don't have a hundred other things to carry with you.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Spike

I should add I will be hunting with a shotgun
Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either a climber or a ground blind. You will need to be able to take it out every time you come out and you will also need to stay mobile. Hard to lug ladder stands around, even the so called portable ones.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

I think that there is a lack of information here.

If it was on public hunting ground and everyone had to use a shotgun and you knew that there was going to be 1000 other people there, then getting up as high as possible would increase your chances of seeing game, would be a positive.

On the other hand, I would have to know how far can you see and how far can your shotgun shoot. If you can see 300 yards but can only shoot 50 - then getting higher would only allow the game to see you a long time before you could see and shoot it.

They do make some tree stands that converts into a buck buggy - that has wheels on it that you can use to tote your deer out.
They don't get a lot of snow in North Carolina in October and November.

If there was a lot of people around and the deer were moving on their own, I would stand on the ground and build a small ground blind to hide my actions and would place it near a natural funnel and would shoot the first legal deer that came down the trail. But then again, that is just me.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Spike

I don't care what anybody says, if I'm hunting public land during gun season, I'm going to be in a tree. Get a climber and scout for climber friendly trees. Climbers do require a certain amount of respect, but when you're careful and learn your certain stands quirks which shouldn't be many, they are perfectly safe.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by david33
My dad and I will be hunting public land this year. We will have to take evrything in and out each day we hunt. Can you guys help me out on how you would hunt. Either treestand 6-11 foot high, ground blind, or on ground sitting next to tree.
In a ground blind you can move more, your not exposed to the elements, and it muffles sounds such as coughs or sneeze's. I have done both in my ground blind and had deer at about 40 yards minutes later. Try that in a tree stand. Tonight my cell phone rang while I was filming deer from my ground blind at less than 20 yards and it was completely still outside and the deer never paid it no mind. Believe that or not. Ground blind is the way I'd go.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Ground blind or find an old blown down tree to hide behind.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

id look for an old blowdown near a clearing or relativly open part of the woods
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ground blinds are nice, you can get one fer $50 that pops open in minutes and closes down even faster.
ya wont get the mornin dew on ya and it is good cover you can move around a bit

tree climbers are nice, big guys usually dont like em, but young kid with his dad and a safety harness is will be ideal fer ya as well, dad will be checkin on ya sooner or later.

unless you have a ghillie suit and know how ta use it, sittin next to a tree aint much fer cover, but can be better than nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.