Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how long

Old 09-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default how long

how long do you think it takes deer to get use to a ground blind being set up if you didnt spook any while putting it up.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

the whole idea behind a ground blind is there not supposed to even know it was there. I have put a blind in the middle of a field and hunted it the deer were a little skidish.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

About 15 minutes.

Deer knows every tree, every stump, every creek and spring, every trail and every nook and cranny in the woods. Their noses are 1000 times stronger then yours or mine. Their sense of danger is always on alert.

The funny thing is - deer sees in black and white.
Deer doesn't pay attention to objects, they look for movements.
If they see something out of place, they will act like comedians, trying to amuse you to the point of where you will smile, move your hands, arms, feet, legs, eyes, head.
If I had a nickle for every time that I was sitting in the woods and a doe walked up to me and started spinning her head around in a circle - trying to get me to move. Or stomping her foot to let the other deer know - hey something is not right. Or just stood patiently - waiting for me to move first. How many times have you hunted deer in Pennsylvania in the rifle season in December and took off your gloves to shoot a deer and then it held up behind a bush and after 15 minutes your hands got so froze that you thought that your fingers were going to fall off?
Only to move one finger and the deer saw it and was gone in a flash!
At the same time, you can park a pick up truck in the middle of the camp yard and go in the camp and look out the window and see three deer in the yard...
Old 09-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kyslayer
how long do you think it takes deer to get use to a ground blind being set up if you didnt spook any while putting it up.
Deer do not pay any attention to ground blinds as long as the don't silhouette you or see you move. Other than that you can put up a ground blind and be seeing deer within minutes. I've seen up close and videoed many more deer in a ground blind than I ever saw in a tree stand.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

i was doing some scouting today and found a nice hillside of large trees with little undergrowth. Acorns everywhere and some nice trails(good as they can get without rain in two months). About thirty yards down from a large field so i set up my blind and was wondering if tommorrow would be too soon to hunt it. thanks for imput