HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330439-what-would-you-do.html)

Shoulder Strap 09-23-2010 11:27 AM

What would you do?

Finally bought a trail cam this year. when I checked my pictures, I had several. My wife and I sat down to look at the pics. I had pics of a few little bucks and one good one. He's probably a 130 or 140 eight point. When my wife see's this she says thats the one I want to kill. I have never killed a buck that big myself. I shot one bigger before but lost the blood trail after about a mile. she has never killed a deer, so i would like to let her hunt that buck. My boys arent old enough to hunt yet. Is the feeling the same when you take someone and let them take the shot? Knowing where he is located, I would like for him to grow another year. So what would you do.

vapahunter 09-23-2010 11:56 AM

Give her the chance. What will it hurt if she actually shoots the big guy? As you say she has never killed a deer so why not let her see and have a chance of what we all look for when hunting. Do you want her as a hunting companion or just someone to tell your stories to? Part of the sport is allowing others to experience all they can and help them get the animal that will make them happy. I know it is bigger than any you have shot BUT why not set some priorities in your hunting goals. Would it be wrong to not let her have a chance at him? NO Would it be heplful with the relationship you two will have as hunting partners. Only you can answer that one.

I would give her the opportunity.

Let us know what she shoots.

ksharvester 09-23-2010 12:15 PM

id take her and let her try more than likely she isnt going to see him the first few times she goes anyways so it might turn her off of hunting.

doetrain 09-23-2010 12:17 PM

This is one of those" It is more blessed to give than receive"situations in my thinking. If it was me and my wife in your situation I would get her ready to take him down. I find it so exciting when I help someone else have success while hunting even if they show me up. Cut her loose when she's ready and enjoy the show. I bet she will be moved to return the favor some how that will draw you guys even closer together.

syrupman 09-23-2010 04:27 PM

who said selfishness is a bad thing

sprintflyer 09-23-2010 04:34 PM

IMHO you will get a thrill from seeing the smile on her face. Mine is an anamal lover so not a hunter but understands I am an why I do it. You are blessed to be able to share something like this with her. Enjoy it, whichever of you shoots him.

Jeff Ovington 09-23-2010 04:38 PM

Yeah, hell, let her shoot it.Nothing bad is gonna cum of it.In fact this can really work to your advantage.All you have to say there is a 150 class buck in area and your 'honny do list' for that weekend is torn up and your in the bush she may be with you but at least your hunting.Let the smaller ( than this one she wants to kill) grow.

Shoulder Strap 09-24-2010 10:08 AM

Thanks for the opinions fellas. I had decided to let her have dibs on him. Although, i was a little down about it. Went to check my cam, and it was like the lord smiled down and said dont fret my son. Upon checking my pics I realized that the buck had a even bigger brother. I'm about to jump out of my skin right now.

lucky_shot 09-24-2010 10:54 AM

first come first serve

Valentine 09-24-2010 11:03 AM

Ancient Chinese Saying

Introduce wife to photography; never to hunting.

Introduce wife to photography and hunting; get big headache.