Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Michigan or Indiana?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Michigan or Indiana?

I live in Virginia but have sisters in Anderson in southern central Indiana and in Garrett in northern Indiana. I also have a brother in Benton Horbor Michigan. Planning on doing a hunt/visit this year but they don't hunt and have no idea where to go. I bowhunt and need public land. Any advice??
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

al you gotta do is check out the states dnr websites, or look under public hunting grounds in each state!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have. Just hoping to get some first hand info
Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Without question Indiana would be my first choice. But I would knock on some farmers doors before I did the public land thing.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

I don't know of too many people who would just give out their prime hunting spots - especially on the internet.

Your best bet is to go to a local sporting goods store that sells archery supplies and hang out for a while and see if anyone can give you some pointers.

Then knock on some doors and ask for permission. That is if the farm is not already leased to someone else. If you get permission, don't forget to go and buy some presents for the farmers family, regardless of if you get a deer or not. Beer for dad, a ham for mom, some penny candy for the kids. Maybe a box of Chocolates for Christmas and a good bottle of whiskey.

I have more places where I am welcome to hunt then days that I can actually hunt. it works out pretty good.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I've done the knocking on doors thing in the past but I'll only be in town a day or two. I will be visiting with family but plan to hunt early and late with vists in the afternoon. Not looking for prime spots although that would be nice! If I'm spending that kinda coin on non-resident tags I'm bringing meat home(does not young bucks). Just looking for some public land I can hunt.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Spike

im from nw indiana an like the other guy said try and knock on some doors. ive hunted willow slough which is public land in nw indiana i seen plenty of deer, but private is the way to go.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Michigan sucks. I know I live here. Indiana is the better bet. Might be a little harder finding land to hunt but much better deer hunting.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would start asking my relatives if they knew or worked with someone that had some land you could hunt for a few days. You will spend half your time just riding around trying to find a place to hunt if you don't.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

I would choose Indiana, our management practices in MI are sub-par.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.