HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   are ground blinds safe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330347-ground-blinds-safe.html)

david33 09-22-2010 10:44 AM

are ground blinds safe

How safe are the pop up type ground blinds? Someone suggested a ground blind so I'm looking for some more information and trying to see if they are safe? I was at Dicks's and they had orange patches on the blind but didn't know how well a hunter could see it walking through the woods. I will be using a shotgun deer hunting.

Night Crawler 09-22-2010 10:48 AM

wear your safety harness, you dont want to fall from the ground. the whole point of a ground blind is so you can't be seen.

ADVWannabee 09-22-2010 10:53 AM

I assume you are worried about getting shot by other hunters? I would think a ground blind would be as safe as hunting from the ground any other time. If you a worried about being seen by people, you could hang a hunter orange vest in a nearby branch.

fishtaconc 09-22-2010 11:03 AM

I take it fro your question that youll be hunting on a game land. Best advice is scout the area you plan to hunt, and use common sense when picking your location.

david33 09-22-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by fishtaconc (Post 3687466)
I take it fro your question that youll be hunting on a game land. Best advice is scout the area you plan to hunt, and use common sense when picking your location.

Yes I will be hunting on gamelands. I've always used a ladder treestand on the land that we leased, but this year is different since we don' t have the land anymore.

kswild 09-22-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3687446)
How safe are the pop up type ground blinds? Someone suggested a ground blind so I'm looking for some more information and trying to see if they are safe? I was at Dicks's and they had orange patches on the blind but didn't know how well a hunter could see it walking through the woods. I will be using a shotgun deer hunting.

Here watch this short vid and at the end you will see how safe ground blinds are in a thunderstorm. As safe as your mama's milk.
Live it up! Doug

blackhawk_archery 09-22-2010 02:33 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to slap a orange vest on the roof of the blind if I were hunting public land,I have never hunted with a gun on public land but herd it can get pretty wild,one guy I know quit hunting all together after he had slugs buzzing his head.

SJAdventures 09-22-2010 02:43 PM

I have had slugs buzz my head in a tree stand on private land. Your never totally safe during whitetail firearm seasons

deerslayer706 09-22-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3687606)
I wouldn't hesitate to slap a orange vest on the roof of the blind if I were hunting public land,I have never hunted with a gun on public land but herd it can get pretty wild,one guy I know quit hunting all together after he had slugs buzzing his head.

DAMN!!!! lol... i have my own land..but i do hunt archery only public land sometimes... public land that allows rifles,guns...are not safe period...ground blind..tree stand...anything...Ive seen and heard in the news about people getting shot or killed on public lands

*twodogs* 09-22-2010 03:08 PM

As safe as the guy behind the trigger...That's why I switched to bow hunting. If you do your homework, your season is over before the lead starts flying. I would not be in a ground blind (or ground for that matter) if the area allows rifles, shotgun, maybe, rifle, no way.

mr.mc54 09-22-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3687446)

The reason there is a blaze orange top or flags, is safety during gun season. During archery, don't have to use orange. I'm talkin in WI.:party0005:

PY Antlers 09-22-2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Night Crawler (Post 3687449)
wear your safety harness, you dont want to fall from the ground. the whole point of a ground blind is so you can't be seen.

:party0005: Thats friggen funny!

7.62NATO 09-22-2010 05:20 PM

If you're talking about public land, for sure wrap something blaze orange around a tree next to your blind. You'll have to feel it out, but usually public land is not very crowded during the week. On the weekends, well...

noidurism 09-22-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Night Crawler (Post 3687449)

what are you answering? not to bash you but a ground blind is one of the safest places to be when hunting, as long as you know the area. gotta shake my head in disbelief on this answer to this ?. wow! did you even read the ??

7.62NATO 09-22-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by noidurism (Post 3687823)
what are you answering? not to bash you but a ground blind is one of the safest places to be when hunting, as long as you know the area. gotta shake my head in disbelief on this answer to this ?. wow! did you even read the ??

No sense of humor, eh?

Jeff Ovington 09-22-2010 10:32 PM

You should be safe no matter what the situation is or where you are.
Some of it is up to you but you can only do so much to protect yourself. The person pulling the trigger is 100% responsible for everything that bullet does till it stops.No matter the age, gender or exerience.Regardless what pressure their under and or who tells them to shoot.If somebody ever shot at me, They better get me on the first shot cause I will beat him to an inch of their life.There is no excuse for it.This is the only time I'd ever think about hitting a girl.Yep it happens but that's when they should have there hunting rights and privledges revoked for life.

david33 09-23-2010 02:28 AM

Thats what I am worried about, is other people trying to be as safe as I'm trying to be. I've bought my dad and myself a blaze orange vest to wear since we are having to hunt on public land this year. I bought him a new orange hat since he's was the orange and black, it was getting old.

doetrain 09-23-2010 03:57 AM

When in our ground blind at my buddys house I don't worry to much about stray led until I hear people on opening day start shooting at first light and it sounds like they are shooting at ducks not deer.

marquismarc 09-23-2010 05:43 AM

I would get one of those hunter orange tops for your ground blind or put an orange hat on top of it if your going to use it during rifle season. I had a hunter set up literally 15 feet away from me when I was in my ground blind a 2 seasons ago. He never saw me, I usually put an orange hat on top of my blind now.

UPHunter08 09-23-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3687606)

That's a requirement in some states for public land. Check your local regulations...probably a good idea even if it isn't required.

nodog 09-23-2010 02:09 PM

Don't cover it with deer hides :)

Why do people get shot? Just give it a little thought and you'll see why in the blind is as safe as you can be. Stepping out of it is when I'd be worried.

When the guns are going off no bodys much safer than any other except for the guy carrying the deer, he's open season.

tight360 09-23-2010 02:31 PM

You have to have the right kind......

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington (Post 3687904)
You should be safe no matter what the situation is or where you are.
Some of it is up to you but you can only do so much to protect yourself. The person pulling the trigger is 100% responsible for everything that bullet does till it stops.No matter the age, gender or exerience.Regardless what pressure their under and or who tells them to shoot.If somebody ever shot at me, They better get me on the first shot cause I will beat him to an inch of their life.There is no excuse for it.This is the only time I'd ever think about hitting a girl.Yep it happens but that's when they should have there hunting rights and privledges revoked for life.

You gotta get the kind that has the money back guarantee that it will be recognized at a 1000 yds. 500yd ones ain't that good, they leak after a while.:s13:

WNYhunter 09-24-2010 03:15 AM

I actually took my sons orange coat and mine and propped them up with branches on the sides of mine. The way i see it, we don't need them in the blind. Either way, stray bullets happen and you want to have the best protection you can.

adirondackhunter 09-26-2010 07:45 AM

I hunt public land during muzzleloader and rifle seasons and i do not wear any orange.Never had any problems.Put some orange around your blind.