Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

are ground blinds safe

Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Spike

Default are ground blinds safe

How safe are the pop up type ground blinds? Someone suggested a ground blind so I'm looking for some more information and trying to see if they are safe? I was at Dicks's and they had orange patches on the blind but didn't know how well a hunter could see it walking through the woods. I will be using a shotgun deer hunting.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

wear your safety harness, you dont want to fall from the ground. the whole point of a ground blind is so you can't be seen.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I assume you are worried about getting shot by other hunters? I would think a ground blind would be as safe as hunting from the ground any other time. If you a worried about being seen by people, you could hang a hunter orange vest in a nearby branch.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Spike

I take it fro your question that youll be hunting on a game land. Best advice is scout the area you plan to hunt, and use common sense when picking your location.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
I take it fro your question that youll be hunting on a game land. Best advice is scout the area you plan to hunt, and use common sense when picking your location.
Yes I will be hunting on gamelands. I've always used a ladder treestand on the land that we leased, but this year is different since we don' t have the land anymore.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by david33
How safe are the pop up type ground blinds? Someone suggested a ground blind so I'm looking for some more information and trying to see if they are safe? I was at Dicks's and they had orange patches on the blind but didn't know how well a hunter could see it walking through the woods. I will be using a shotgun deer hunting.
Here watch this short vid and at the end you will see how safe ground blinds are in a thunderstorm. As safe as your mama's milk.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't hesitate to slap a orange vest on the roof of the blind if I were hunting public land,I have never hunted with a gun on public land but herd it can get pretty wild,one guy I know quit hunting all together after he had slugs buzzing his head.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had slugs buzz my head in a tree stand on private land. Your never totally safe during whitetail firearm seasons
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
I wouldn't hesitate to slap a orange vest on the roof of the blind if I were hunting public land,I have never hunted with a gun on public land but herd it can get pretty wild,one guy I know quit hunting all together after he had slugs buzzing his head.
DAMN!!!! lol... i have my own land..but i do hunt archery only public land sometimes... public land that allows rifles,guns...are not safe period...ground blind..tree stand...anything...Ive seen and heard in the news about people getting shot or killed on public lands
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

As safe as the guy behind the trigger...That's why I switched to bow hunting. If you do your homework, your season is over before the lead starts flying. I would not be in a ground blind (or ground for that matter) if the area allows rifles, shotgun, maybe, rifle, no way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.