HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   treestand height (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330308-treestand-height.html)

david33 09-22-2010 03:17 AM

treestand height

I am hunting with a shotgun this year since I will be hunting woods instead of fields. How high do you have your treestands? We can hunt with a shotgun on the ground, but I thought my dad and I need to be off the ground to get our scent off the ground. We have to put up and take down our treestands everytime we go hunting, so I didn't know what height would be good and less ladder sections would be nice.

marlin30/30_drabe 09-22-2010 03:20 AM

you might want to look into a climber or even some of the new lock ons are very portable. ladders take time to set up and are heavy

RenaissanceBiker 09-22-2010 03:47 AM

It depends on the location. You can get so high that you are in or above the canopy. If I had to take my stand in and out each day, I would use a climber.

Night Crawler 09-22-2010 05:48 AM

ground blind

Pat Curtis 09-22-2010 08:16 AM

Invest in a good climber.

SJAdventures 09-22-2010 08:20 AM

Climber. You can adjust for the canopy height in each location. If I know exactly where I am going to hunt then I go with a loc on. I like to be no less than 20' and prefer 25' if the canopy allows.

shawnfogelman 09-22-2010 09:53 AM

I never go into the woods without my Summit Climbing stand. It's like my American Express Card, I never leave home without it! Secondly, I get to 20 to 25ft high. Seems to work well for me. I shot 5 deer last year.

sproulman 09-22-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by david33 (Post 3687117)
I am hunting with a shotgun this year since I will be hunting woods instead of fields. How high do you have your treestands? We can hunt with a shotgun on the ground, but I thought my dad and I need to be off the ground to get our scent off the ground. We have to put up and take down our treestands everytime we go hunting, so I didn't know what height would be good and less ladder sections would be nice.

like said, climber would be better.but your question would be height.15 ft in pa is my perfect height.you can see under canopy and see farther.now to get a ladderstand in daily ,i use a DEER CART to haul it in.tie it down with strap.
i even carried my ladderstands in on my back.
i used a military MOLLE 11 STRAPS TO DO IT WITH WAIST BELT.
they have a new ladderstand that you can carry in on your back and it takes hardly anytime to set it up.
i forgot name of it ...

ADVWannabee 09-22-2010 10:49 AM

If I use a lock on stand, I only go about 15' as I don't care for heights much. I will ride a motorcycle on city streets, but going high up in a tree is scary. :) I will go higher in a climber though. As high as needed. For my lock on stand, I use a 16' to 20' 4 section climbing sticks and like them pretty well.

*twodogs* 09-22-2010 03:10 PM

Ladder stands are going to limit your height from 12 feet to 22 feet max and that's a lot of weight. Also think about the stink and noise you will generate putting the thing up & taking down every time.

You'll be spending more time putting up and taking down lock on or ladders than you will be hunting. Invest in a Summit climber, good stand for the money and very portable.