Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand height

Old 09-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Spike

Default treestand height

I am hunting with a shotgun this year since I will be hunting woods instead of fields. How high do you have your treestands? We can hunt with a shotgun on the ground, but I thought my dad and I need to be off the ground to get our scent off the ground. We have to put up and take down our treestands everytime we go hunting, so I didn't know what height would be good and less ladder sections would be nice.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

you might want to look into a climber or even some of the new lock ons are very portable. ladders take time to set up and are heavy
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on the location. You can get so high that you are in or above the canopy. If I had to take my stand in and out each day, I would use a climber.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

ground blind
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Invest in a good climber.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Climber. You can adjust for the canopy height in each location. If I know exactly where I am going to hunt then I go with a loc on. I like to be no less than 20' and prefer 25' if the canopy allows.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

I never go into the woods without my Summit Climbing stand. It's like my American Express Card, I never leave home without it! Secondly, I get to 20 to 25ft high. Seems to work well for me. I shot 5 deer last year.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by david33
I am hunting with a shotgun this year since I will be hunting woods instead of fields. How high do you have your treestands? We can hunt with a shotgun on the ground, but I thought my dad and I need to be off the ground to get our scent off the ground. We have to put up and take down our treestands everytime we go hunting, so I didn't know what height would be good and less ladder sections would be nice.
like said, climber would be better.but your question would be height.15 ft in pa is my perfect height.you can see under canopy and see farther.now to get a ladderstand in daily ,i use a DEER CART to haul it in.tie it down with strap.
i even carried my ladderstands in on my back.
i used a military MOLLE 11 STRAPS TO DO IT WITH WAIST BELT.
they have a new ladderstand that you can carry in on your back and it takes hardly anytime to set it up.
i forgot name of it ...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

If I use a lock on stand, I only go about 15' as I don't care for heights much. I will ride a motorcycle on city streets, but going high up in a tree is scary. I will go higher in a climber though. As high as needed. For my lock on stand, I use a 16' to 20' 4 section climbing sticks and like them pretty well.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Ladder stands are going to limit your height from 12 feet to 22 feet max and that's a lot of weight. Also think about the stink and noise you will generate putting the thing up & taking down every time.

You'll be spending more time putting up and taking down lock on or ladders than you will be hunting. Invest in a Summit climber, good stand for the money and very portable.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-22-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.