Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
First time Bow hunter any advice? >

First time Bow hunter any advice?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First time Bow hunter any advice?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default First time Bow hunter any advice?

This is going to be my first year bow hunting. I have a pretty good set-up, here in kansas it is legal to bait the Deer. i have 2 stands that overlook tripod feeders that i built i have my cams set up faceing them. on one cam i have a bunch of does that are coming in and on the other i got a couple pictures of a nice 10 and Season opened up yesterday. i havent been out yet im still practicing with my bow. i will be out this weekend though and hope to land a nice doe. I want to take a trophy this year and i know im on land that can provide that for me. i just think that if that 10 walks under me its going to be real hard not to take the shot i have one more stand and camera that im going to set up over some CRP and put another feeder barrel there also. any other advice you could help a newbie out with. Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you get a shot, take it!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Aim low from a tree stand and don't over-estimate the range.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well

experience is the last tutor we get.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

This will be my second season bow hunting and I love it more than gun hunting for sure,your in for a real challenge that will test you in many good ways. There is no substitute for being efficient with your new bow and having it set up right. If you have a really good Archery shop have them check it for you,if it's good to go practice,practice,practice! Shoot from many different angles,siting,kneeling,around trees and from your stand is a must,also wear your gear you will begin the season in.I did not practice enough from up high and missed my Doe last year from my tree stand. Hunting from the ground would be a lot easier on you your first year but it gives the deer a little edge. I shot my first ever deer last year from the ground at 13 yards in a natural ground blind a brush pile with logs in front of it so it can be done by a new hunter. Good use of the wind good camo and scent control will help but the wind and the spot for your ambush must be good. Know and scout your area if you can from a distance or put some trail cams out,it's never to late to scout but do it carefully being so close to the season. Good Hunting and welcome to the bow hunting family.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

best thing to do is read and learn the art of hunting and have fun creating your own style. :-)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

as long as there coming to your feeders you shouldn't have to do much but wait, otherwise I'd tell you to find an area loaded with fresh droppings and sit there. P.S Do yourself a favor Never wear your hunting boots outside of the woods !!! and when you find droppings make sure to step on them this helps you mask your scent and smell like deer works like a charm for me
Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have had my bow set up for me i had a very well recommended archery store set it up. I will be practicing from an elevated area to simulate a stand. is it necessary to have an archery rangefinder?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ksharvester
I have had my bow set up for me i had a very well recommended archery store set it up. I will be practicing from an elevated area to simulate a stand. is it necessary to have an archery rangefinder?
Yes, for years I never used a rangefinder. I missed alot my shots were always low or high. when the dreniline is pumping it's nice to know you have a good idea what yardage your target is at and not just a guess.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

As the others said, practice, practice, practice. Shooting should be instinctive by the time you're lining up the shot because that's a few less things to be concentrating on (e.g. form, etc). You should be focused on an aiming point on the deer and not its rack or anything else.

When you have deer in there, just take your time, take a breath and think it through. When you're lining up on a deer, the excitement and adrenaline can take over and make you rush a shot if you're not careful. I've found that just taking a moment to relax and watch some deer for a bit (does will hang around long enough for you to do this usually) you'll be able to focus better. Does are great practice for when the big bucks come through...you have to be on your 'A' game to bag them because they usually don't linger as much as a doe, and they won't let you get away with as much movement.

Good luck to you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.