Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do if

Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default What would you do if

What you would do if you only had 1 buck tag a season (Kansas)
And on the property you hunt you see what I call a management buck. Scraggly horned, just a bad buck for the herd. You guys know the kind of buck I'm talkin about.You know it should be taken out of the herd. Would you take it?
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Spike

If I had just one tag I would let him go and what for a big mature deer. But that's just me. Maybe you could get a hunter you know that only wants meat and get him to kill it. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Spike

In our camp, we kind of take turns taking management deer. If you've take a nice buck a couple of years in a row, and the next year a "management" deer walks by you take it.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kswild
What you would do if you only had 1 buck tag a season (Kansas)
And on the property you hunt you see what I call a management buck. Scraggly horned, just a bad buck for the herd. You guys know the kind of buck I'm talkin about.You know it should be taken out of the herd. Would you take it?
Live it up! Doug
Take a first timer, and let them take it.
Then you get a good one.
They will like it, and you will to.

JMHO
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd let one of my kids shoot it.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen some bucks with pretty deformed horn But being we only get one tag we don't shoot them . Usually it is spikes and forks that we see with that kind of horns ,but Ive never seen a mature buck with that problem , kind of makes you wonder where the deformed spikes and forks went .
Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are different reasons for messed up racks. It may be bad genes, but could be injury or something else. Antlered does are rare but they can have strange racks. In a one buck area, I'm passing those deer.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, let the neighbor kid shoot it. Either that or you shoot it and let the one's you were gonna shoot go till next year and then they will really be big, Booners even!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

thought you were a meat hunter? 1st legal buck you see aren't you taking?

I almost think the odds of seeing a management buck are better than seeing a monster trophy buck, so I'm starting to think if you can fill your tag, fill it!

But if I was taking a special trip with a guide etc....for a trophy buck in KS, I'd be looking for a trophy, not a management.

Ideally you could shoot a 2nd buck, or something etc...like that...
Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a monster fork horn muley once,it had just over 5 inch bases and was over 28 inches wide.the brow tines just about 4 inches long.
Shot it for management reasons, and on the way home saw a monster seven by six, made this thing look really really stupid, about 1 mile from where I shot that one and I saw it within 20 minutes after killing this one on the way home to hang it.The buck I couldn't shoot was close to book I mean within inches.One of the biggeset Ive ever seen, this rack on this deer was something else.Will never ever do that again.I was in my young young twenties.Never did mount the thing and gave the rack away didn't even get a picture.I'm sure it's around some rich dude probably has it hanging on his wall.It was impressive wish I kept the rack, but learned my lesson.Yeah, mature bucks lacking gentetics will breed,that's a given, but the doe may have dominate genetics as well,or better yet a bigger one will push it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.