Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do if

Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

whats the purpose of shooting a management buck...so you can kill a big buck the next year..why not kill 2 nice bucks in 2 years or just "not" shoot him
Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
thought you were a meat hunter? 1st legal buck you see aren't you taking?

I almost think the odds of seeing a management buck are better than seeing a monster trophy buck, so I'm starting to think if you can fill your tag, fill it!

But if I was taking a special trip with a guide etc....for a trophy buck in KS, I'd be looking for a trophy, not a management.

Ideally you could shoot a 2nd buck, or something etc...like that...
I ask what would YOU do. Thanks for your input.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

I would pass. If you end up not taking a decent buck by the end of season then you may want to shoot him but, until that happens he walks.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

i have a spike on one of my cams that im going to let one of my buddies shoot come rifle season. i saw the father last year while pheasant hunting he was a large deer with one side that was a single spike and the other had 4 points. im sure he spreading his genes thru the pool so either one of them show up and i will be bringing someone out to shoot it.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a messed up looking buck on our land. My father in-law saw it a bunch last year. It's a stump with 2pts on one side and a 4pt on the other. We have some trail cam pics of him this year. I'm hoping the Amish Brigade next to us takes him...as they shoot anything and everything.

I know there are good bucks on our land, so personally I won't be shooting him.