Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter?

ok so i am big into hunting but im new i am just obsessed with it. but my girlfriend wants to try it. I was wondering if you guys have any advice on what came make her hunt more enjoyable so she will get a good first expression. Just let me know guys. and im not sure this is the right forum to be posting this either but i would appriciate the help
Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would try something like a dove shoot in a good field, squirrel hunting where you know there are a lot of them or maybe deer hunting if you know there are a lot of deer in the area. A new hunter will be bored quick if there isn't something going on.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

your not really going to be "hunting" are you
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have been through the same thing over the years. I have found that once you marry them, you couldnt drag them in the woods with a tractor.
Take her to a box stand and let her whack some does.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I took the wife turkey hunting the first time. It was exciting for her because she could hear the birds and see them off in the distance. I wanted to get her on a hunt that didn;t involve her sitting somewhere and shooting the heck out of the game.

Gave her an idea of what it takes to bag an animal. By the time she shot her first turkey she was hooked because of the effort she had put in and the fact that turkey's present a challenging hunt.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found the most important thing is comfort. If she is cold or wet (feet and hands especially), she'll want to go in. So be sure she dresses for the weather. Bring something to eat and drink, and plan for a bathroom break. Some of the women I've hunted with were weird about doing their business in the woods. Other than that, keep it relatively short, half-day at most. Maybe an AM stand for a couple hours, a short walk to get the blood flowing and another short stand. Once she gets out a few times, she'll let you know whether she can or wants to stay out longer. Never know, she may end up wanting to go all the time and stay all day.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

lap dance will make the time fly! On a serious not, let her think you are going hunting, but know that you are not. Turn it into a picnic in a deer stand. Take her now, before it gets too cold, pack a nice picnic and just focus on making her comfortable and happy. It will be cool if she gets a deer but no big deal if she dont. If she stays happy though she wont be thinking, dang I just sat there for hours and looks at the same thing. Of course if your willing to take time to make her like hunting, you probably wanna marry her, and if thats the case you should probably make her hate hunting now so she is not always wanting to go. A man needs his alone time
Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Spike

thanks guys some of those were funny but yet good advice thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Your alone in the bush with your girlfriend
and your worried about how bored can she get?Just take her deer hunting. If your experienced hunter it's gonna be fun. Get her the gear she needs and enjoy it for what it is.But the main thing is make her feel like she is contributing. Give her the binos let her glass explain to her what to look for when you are glassing. And show her hunter safety and how to handle a firearm. Oh yeah and bring a pillow, this is the mist important thing.The main thing is make it about her.My wife was Lucky I was single when we met.I am the best thing that could ever happened to her.I am. She's lucky to have me.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

I hope it works out for you. Follow the advice of those who say make it comfortable and fun for her. My wife likes to shoot at the range but has no desire to hunt. We've been together for 20 years. There was a guy in our hunt club who used to bring his girl friend a lot. In two years he never got a deer. He finally got out but I think he is still with the girl. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.