HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Semi-Smelly Carpet in Deer Stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330179-semi-smelly-carpet-deer-stand.html)

syrupman 09-20-2010 02:07 PM

Semi-Smelly Carpet in Deer Stand

i have a semi-smell carpet i think i am going to put in my deer stand...i have put stuff on it and its been outside for 3 weeks and has a musty old smell to it...do you think it will bother the deer...its a 1 man box stand bout 10 feet high..deer come out from everywhere

Ky Bob 09-20-2010 02:58 PM

I would be afraid to use it myself. More than likely its loaded with human scent also. I have seen small 4x4 or smaller pieces at Walmart really cheap I'd buy and let it air out really good before putting it in my stand.

zaboo 09-20-2010 07:01 PM

nope wold not use it because i personally dont like carpet in a deer stan for that reason:happy0001:

jrbsr 09-20-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by syrupman (Post 3685975)
i have a semi-smell carpet i think i am going to put in my deer stand...i have put stuff on it and its been outside for 3 weeks and has a musty old smell to it...do you think it will bother the deer...its a 1 man box stand bout 10 feet high..deer come out from everywhere

I would toss it, and get a rubber mat.

JMHO

Jeff Ovington 09-20-2010 10:03 PM

I think 2" styrofoam insulation is the best way to go.
It is comfortable,warm, doesn't take on odour it's airtight and mold proof. the list go's on.They insulate foundation walls with it. I used styrofoam blocks and poured the concrete in the blocks instead of using plywood foundation forms when I built my house. Saved my on the cost of damproofing the founadtion and polying and insulating the frostwalls.I used it throughout my entire basement,attic, bathroom.Man I come up with the greatest ideas. This advice is free as well.

DocD 09-21-2010 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by jrbsr (Post 3686288)
I would toss it, and get a rubber mat.

JMHO

I agree,

My experience with Styrofoam is that is noisy, but then I hunt where it is pretty cold, maybe in the warmer areas it isn't so bad. Doc

Jeff Ovington 09-21-2010 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by DocD (Post 3686359)
I agree,

My experience with Styrofoam is that is noisy, but then I hunt where it is pretty cold, maybe in the warmer areas it isn't so bad. Doc

2" industrial grade styrofoam is noisy?Not if it placed right. It's insulation quality is equivalent to about 5 feet of backfill dirt so reguardless of where your at, temp should not make a difference.Nope. It's quiet, light ,doesn't give off an odour, very convient.Rubber can sqeek it emmits oils and odour especially in hotter temps and it's dirty.Insulation, is very easy to wipe dry and keep clean and no odours emmited in any temp.Rubber isn't bad but it is dirty and takes alot of prep to clean before taking it to the field.
Oil which rubber is make from is always emmiting a gas.Put your nose to rubber and take a wif.It smells. Doesn't matter if it's your tires rubber boots anything and majority of animals can smell a better than Humans can.

Mr. Deer Hunter 09-21-2010 05:15 AM

You can go to most carpet stores and buy a piece of remnant carpeting for next to nothing, so why would you want to take some old smelly piece of carpeting out into the woods and put it into your tree stand?

There is a time to be cheap and then there is a time to spend money.

Styrofoam insulation inside of a tree stand that does not have any windows wouldn't make a big difference one way or the other.

If you want to stay warm, build a fireplace and put a Kerosun heater inside of it.

sussexhunter 09-21-2010 05:25 AM

I think you are a little late to put anything new into your stand. I would wait till feb or so before I did anything to change my stand. Styrofoam and rubber will both squeak. As for carpet, the old stuff smells but dang, so does the new stuff. You guys must have never walked into a carpet store. Why do people always go in and put a new stand up and paint it and do whatever other idea they can think of to it the week before hunting season or even during. Leave it alone till seasons over.

Jeff Ovington 09-21-2010 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter (Post 3686419)
You can go to most carpet stores and but a piece of remnant carpeting for next to nothing, so why would you want to take some old smelly piece of carpeting out into the woods and put it into your tree stand?

There is a time to be cheap and then there is a time to spend money.

Styrofoam insulation inside of a tree stand that does not have any windows wouldn't make a big difference one way or the other.

If you want to stay warm, build a fireplace and put a kerosun heater inside of it.

Styrofoam will keep your buttwarm, thus in turn allows blood in your body to flow better..Prevents numbness in legs and lower body areas
and your back. You will last longer in the stand being comfortable
using it..you really will.The most importantant thing when it comes to human comfort isn't neccessarly clothing, it's what's betwen you and
the surface or ground your sitting or laying on.If you have nothing between you and that surface or ground or a poor insulating product
heat is either being trapped or escaping,Styrofoam is the one best insulating product on the market.
You have to try it.