Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms? >

Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms?

I used my "credit card points" to get some gift cards to Cabela's. I have been considering buying a scope for my muzzleloader for some time, but now that the opportunity is literally at my doorstep, I'm feeling apprehensive.

I have only hunted with iron sites. There's something about it that I love but I can't explain what it is. Maybe I'm a bowhunter with a gun and just don't know it (no bow, YET!). Anyway, because of NOT having a scoped firearm, there have been plenty of shots I couldn't take that I COULD have taken with a scope. Not because of distance, but because of lack of light or a very dark background in the shot. Even though I was agitated in the moment (and even afterward) that I couldn't shoot, the thought of having a scoped firearm for deer is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Certainly not from a standpoint of ethics AT ALL. Maybe it's just a case of being unfamiliar with it that is making me feel this way. Not sure. I just don't want to drop that kinda $$ on a scope and not dig hunting with it.

Thoughts??
Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Have you thought about using a scope mount that will also allow iron sights? Not something I like, but it might work well for you.

Scopes used properly can be a great hunting aid. My concern is when the scope or scope setting has a small FOV (especially inexperienced hunters). If the FOV is small, there is a greater chance the hunter will not be able indentify a situation where the shot should not be taken for safety reasons.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I never use a scope on a gun....lol.. Of course, I never use a gun either. If I can't kill it with a bow it don't need kilt....lol.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

^^^Yep. Too many people put the biggest scope they can afford on their rifles. Seriously, what does one do with a 15X scope when the terrain they hunt only allows 100 yard shots? What a waste. A fixed 4X scope would be plenty for most deer hunting. It gives you a larger field of view like the previous poster mentioned.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

My opinion is that once you buy your first scope - if it is a good scope, you will never go back to iron sites. The scope will turn your regular old rifle into something that you can point and shoot and know that you are going to hit exactly where you aim - as long as you take your time and do everything the same way you did it when you used your open sites.

As far as a large magnification, in a place like Pennsylvania where we have antler restrictions, where you have to positively identify your target and make sure that it is legal before shooting, the scope allows you a second option to count points and ensures you that you can / can't shoot it before you pull the trigger. It also allows you to carry one less item - a set of field glasses. The way I remember it a 15 power field glass is a pretty common item. So what is the difference between using your scope or using a pair of $300 field glasses to look at your game before you shoot it.

There is nothing unethical about shooting a deer or a bear or a turkey with a scope. As long as the state you live in allows using a scope - it actually will make you a better hunter in the long run.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 AM
trs
Spike

I enjoy shooting with iron sites over scopes but then again I love lever action rifles. Maybe there's a cowboy somwhere deep inside of me. With that being said I do use a scope on my deer rifle. I'm a northern woods hunter and rarely will I see a shot over 100 yds. Sometimes I have antler restrictions with my tags and I like a little extra power in the scope to confirm the rack. I do use a cheap set of glasses first to make sure it's the game I'm after and not some yutz running around in a deer costume but the confirmation of legal rack comes from my scope.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I used my "credit card points" to get some gift cards to Cabela's. I have been considering buying a scope for my muzzleloader for some time, but now that the opportunity is literally at my doorstep, I'm feeling apprehensive.

I have only hunted with iron sites. There's something about it that I love but I can't explain what it is. Maybe I'm a bowhunter with a gun and just don't know it (no bow, YET!). Anyway, because of NOT having a scoped firearm, there have been plenty of shots I couldn't take that I COULD have taken with a scope. Not because of distance, but because of lack of light or a very dark background in the shot. Even though I was agitated in the moment (and even afterward) that I couldn't shoot, the thought of having a scoped firearm for deer is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Certainly not from a standpoint of ethics AT ALL. Maybe it's just a case of being unfamiliar with it that is making me feel this way. Not sure. I just don't want to drop that kinda $$ on a scope and not dig hunting with it.

Thoughts??
Heres a thought, if its to dark to see with iron sights, its to dark to see with a scope.
I hunt with iron sights to.
If you really want a scope, try a side scope mount.
I don't like the see through scope mounts, it puts the scope to far from the barrel.
A side mount puts the scope closer to the barrel.
And you still can use the iron sights.
I don't know if there is a side mount for your gun, or not.
Thats just how I would do it.

JMHO

Last edited by jrbsr; 09-20-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Spike

i love using a scope... get 1 lol
Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default No gun scope!!

Originally Posted by obsessed bowhunter
I never use a scope on a gun....lol.. Of course, I never use a gun either. If I can't kill it with a bow it don't need kilt....lol.
I don't have a scope on my lever action .444, not an issue, I'm usually tagged out by firearm season.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I hit a deer poorly last year with my open sight muzzleloader and it got away from me. So I scoped it this year and have it about dialed in now. I like the idea of using open sights and have gotten one deer with the gun on open sights, but I have to admit I am just to used to a scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.