Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms? >

Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A scope no doubt extends your range. But if you can't justify spending the money, don't get one. I scope all my rifles, but it's totally worth it to me.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Leupold 4x12 on my Remington 700, and I love it.

I have another rifle with a lot of sentimental value that I'd like to take a deer with one day, but I always hesitate to take it because it doesn't have a scope. I've yet to kill a buck over 5 points, and I get so few opportunities to hunt, I don't think I could forgive myself if I missed an opportunity to take a monster that I could have easily taken with my 700.

I can't think of any real reason not to use a scope. Sure, your field of view may be narrower, but you also get a much closer look at the situation before pulling the trigger. If you are than concerned about field of view, take a good hard look around before looking through your scope.

Last edited by Stonewall308; 09-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Spike

I think it depends on what distances you're usually hunting deer at. If it's bush country and your longest shot would be 75-100 yards, then iron sights might even be easier to aim with. If you're hunting mountain ranges with 300 yard shots then ya, a scope would definitely help. In bush country it's sometimes harder to aim at short distances, especially if the deer is on the move. I've been hunting with a '55 model 94 .30-.30 for about 5 years now and the number of shots I've had to pass up because of dark backgrounds, etc. aren't as numerous as the shots I would have missed because of not being able to find the deer in the scope quickly enough. Hope this helps
Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and ordered the scope, since I had the gift cards anyway. I guess it won't hurt to try it out. I plan on keeping it on 3x but I want the extra X if needed, so I got a 3-9.

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
My opinion is that once you buy your first scope - if it is a good scope, you will never go back to iron sites. The scope will turn your regular old rifle into something that you can point and shoot and know that you are going to hit exactly where you aim - as long as you take your time and do everything the same way you did it when you used your open sites.

As far as a large magnification, in a place like Pennsylvania where we have antler restrictions, where you have to positively identify your target and make sure that it is legal before shooting, the scope allows you a second option to count points and ensures you that you can / can't shoot it before you pull the trigger. It also allows you to carry one less item - a set of field glasses. The way I remember it a 15 power field glass is a pretty common item. So what is the difference between using your scope or using a pair of $300 field glasses to look at your game before you shoot it.

There is nothing unethical about shooting a deer or a bear or a turkey with a scope. As long as the state you live in allows using a scope - it actually will make you a better hunter in the long run.
Not sure I agree with you here. I don't see how having a scope can make you a "better hunter". You may be able to shoot farther or in lower light, but I don't equate that with one being a good or poor hunter. Also, with irons, I know exactly where I'm hitting on targets out to 100+ yards (it would be rare to have a shot longer than that where I hunt anyway). Maybe not quite as precisely as a I would if I were looking through glass, but the difference would be negligible. And finally, even with a scoped rifle, I definitely see the value of a pair of binoculars, especially when still hunting. There would be way too much movement glassing your surroundings with a rifle, and your FOV is half.

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Heres a thought, if its to dark to see with iron sights, its to dark to see with a scope.
I hunt with iron sights to.
If you really want a scope, try a side scope mount.
I don't like the see through scope mounts, it puts the scope to far from the barrel.
A side mount puts the scope closer to the barrel.
And you still can use the iron sights.
I don't know if there is a side mount for your gun, or not.
Thats just how I would do it.

JMHO
I think a LOT of people would disagree with your first statement. I remember a time when it started to get dark and two does walked into a field. I could see them clear as day, but when I brought my rifle up, I could not make out where my front sight was when looking through the rear aperture, so I didn't take the shot. I lowered and raised my rifle a bunch of times, and every time I could see them fine but just couldn't make out the front sight. I KNOW if I would have been scoped I would have been taking two does home with me. Another time I remember seeing a group of does walking, and the very wet and dark forest floor was my backdrop (I was up in a treestand). I could not be sure where my front sight was resting because they were blending in so well with the ground. If I had been scoped.

Agree with you on the see-through scope mounts. It puts the scope too high and you can't get a good cheek weld. Side mounts? I've seen them on AR15s, old Mausers, etc.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE= So what is the difference between using your scope or using a pair of $300 field glasses to look at your game before you shoot it.[/QUOTE]

The differance is you NEVER point your rifle at anything until you KNOW you want to shoot!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I've gotten older a scope is a must.I can't see the iron sights anymore.Hey use what works for you.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and ordered the scope, since I had the gift cards anyway. I guess it won't hurt to try it out. I plan on keeping it on 3x but I want the extra X if needed, so I got a 3-9....

...I remember a time when it started to get dark and two does walked into a field. I could see them clear as day, but when I brought my rifle up, I could not make out where my front sight was when looking through the rear aperture, so I didn't take the shot. I lowered and raised my rifle a bunch of times, and every time I could see them fine but just couldn't make out the front sight. I KNOW if I would have been scoped I would have been taking two does home with me......
Scopes have their place.Another idea is high vis sights front and rear for open sights.Curious to hear your opinion on this later.(That is,your opinion of a scope after some usage)

Last edited by Game Stalker; 09-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use scopes. Love them myself.But I agree some hunter do use the wrong size scope for their hunting needs.I myself think that a well made 6xmagnification and a 42mm objective lens is the perfect up to 500yrds. But I have good eyes. Some people may not and may need a higher power.But when you go that route of higher power you also loose.I like to see where bullets may land at long distances.Distances beyond the target a 6 power scope allows me to do that. I also have a large exit pupil at over 5mm and that gives me enough light to see properly. I also like to look at my target at eye level. I have a harder time the target wth an objective lenses bigger than 42mm.That's just me everybodies different.But I firmly believe most hunters can get by with a 6 power or less and a 40 to 42 mm objective lens for all pratical hunting purposes and distances.I would much rather spend the extra money getting a better make and model in a 1.5 to 6 power varible than getting a lower class and grade make and model in a higher magnification and objective lens for the same money.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-22-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Scopes have their place.Another idea is high vis sights front and rear for open sights.Curious to hear your opinion on this later.(That is,your opinion of a scope after some usage)
I have never used high vis sights before. I have hunted once with an Aimpoint red dot, and thought that was awesome. But that's 1X and you keep both eyes open just like with iron sights, so there was really no adjustment to be made.

The T/C Omega I have has high vis sights, but that is the gun I ordered the scope for, so I don't know that I'll get to try them out during the season!