HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Giving away my first deer, need help and advice! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330107-giving-away-my-first-deer-need-help-advice.html)

7.62NATO 09-19-2010 03:32 PM

Giving away my first deer, need help and advice!

Long story short, there is an older man, Floyd, who lives in a shack of a farmhouse and is physically and mentally handicapped. I'm not making fun of him, but the guy talks like Farmer Fran of "The Waterboy", so it's hard to ascertain his exact needs, even when you ask him direct questions. If you don't know the character I'm referring to, here's a short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wuSO59OdM

I live about an hour away from him, but I still really want to help him out. I was able to do several things for him when I visited him today, but I want to make sure he is well-fed too. I decided this season that I would donate the first deer I killed to a family or individual in need. This guy definitely fits the bill.

The problem is that he doesn't appear to have many teeth, if any. I didn't pry his lips back, so I can't be certain how many he actually has, but his lips are folded over. I asked him if he can eat venison, and he said SOMETHING LIKE, "Oh yeah. With sugar on it." Now to my knowledge, sugar doesn't tenderize meat, but what do I know?

Anyway, sometimes venison can be quite tough, and the only way I know of to make it so that it isn't tough, is to cook it JUST RIGHT. The problem with that is that I can't just hop over to his house every night and whip up a venison dinner. I want to give him the meat in a way that will keep for a good long time, but will be easy for him to eat. He does have a freezer and refrigerator (I noticed a package of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer), but I don't know what his cooking abilities are.

I would LOVE to just jerk an entire deer for him, but I think that would be way too tough for him. But then again, I'm not sure!! Anyone know of a way to prepare and package venison so that it will be as tender as possible??

Any input would be appreciated. Sorry this was so long and rambling!!

Gladius87 09-19-2010 03:45 PM

I'm thinking burger. Easiest to make and chew.

BowHunter28 09-19-2010 03:48 PM

summer sausage? venison hot sticks? those arent to tough to chew but you will have to pay to get them processed i guess

Jeff Ovington 09-19-2010 04:06 PM

That's nice of you to do.I have an Autistic daughter myself, and oftern I think about how she will do when Im rotting in the ground.
She will be financially secure, Ill see to that myself.I'm gonna make more money than my great grandkids can spend just to make sure.But as far as her life skills go, I hope she can cope.She does have siblings that will help her out but Iknow they will have their own lives to live as well.Hamburger, hamburger and hamburger.Along with some tooth picks and dental floss, tooth brush, and mouth wash and tooth paste.I don't know Im just rambling. But hamburger is quick and easy to make and easy to chew that is a great suggestion that was posted. That sausage suggestion is a great suggestion as well.

Whitetailmadness 09-19-2010 05:03 PM

Great to hear you're wanting to do this for him. The best way I know of for getting the venison to be "tender as a mother's love" is the crock pot. I do mostly roasts out of my deer with a simple recipe. 1 can of each,beef broth,beef conseme' and french onion. Cook for 8 hours on low and it falls apart. As far as the packaging after it has cooled,if you have a vacum sealer then I would use it for the cooked meat. Then it could be frozen to be put in a pot later and heated after thawing with a little broth or even just water.

2 Lunger 09-19-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3685341)
The problem is that he doesn't appear to have many teeth, if any. I didn't pry his lips back, so I can't be certain how many he actually has, but his lips are folded over.

I'm so sorry, but this made me laugh.

If your going to give him steaks keep them extra thick. That way he will have a harder time over cooking them and I know that's the way I like them. Everyone is saying hamburger, but we all get tired of that after a while. You will be suprised what people without teeth can eat. I just takes them longer.

Everyone has made good suggestions and I have to say that this is a great thing your doing.

7.62NATO 09-19-2010 05:19 PM

I thought about that. But in my experience, summer sausage and the like is a little hard to chew, but maybe I'm not thinking about it right. I'm just trying to imagine myself with no teeth. It still has to be refrigerated though, right? So I couldn't do the whole deer like that at once. Which makes me wonder, how are the sausages, jerkys and other prepared meats that AREN'T in the refrigerated section preserved?? Didn't they used to find ways to keep meats from spoiling at room temperature in the old days?

Back to the subject...as far as ground venison goes, well, he'd still have to thaw it and cook it, and that's where I'd get concerned. Maybe he can handle it but I just don't know. I guess I could plan to butcher and freeze the entire animal and thaw and further process it as needed, a little at a time. That way, I can see what works and what doesn't, and not waste anything in the process by giving it to him all at once.

The thought of grinding backstraps and tenderloins makes me want to cry though...

:)

2 Lunger 09-19-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3685414)
Didn't they used to find ways to keep meats from spoiling at room temperature in the old days?

Yep. They smoked it. After you smoke meat you can hang it off your front porch if you want to.

sussexhunter 09-19-2010 05:23 PM

if you can it, the meat will be tender and easy to cook. one recipe is to take the jar of deer and put it in a large frying pan. add 1 can of walmart gravy and some butter to taste. cook you up some egg noodles on the side and pour the gravy and meat in and mix it all up. sticks to your ribs and will feed one man almost a weeks worth of dinner.

7.62NATO 09-19-2010 05:23 PM

Sorry Madness and 2 Lunger...I didn't refresh my screen. Your ideas sound pretty good, so I'll try them as well. I guess I'll have to sit there and watch it all go down to see how people with no teeth do it! :)

And of course, I can always bring him a hot meal when I go up to visit him. I think I'll freeze the entire animal and just label it "Floyd's". :)