Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Giving away my first deer, need help and advice! >

Giving away my first deer, need help and advice!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Giving away my first deer, need help and advice!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sussex, I can't imagine how many Ball cans I'd need to buy for a whole deer! I thought about that, but it would be expen$ive!!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Yep. They smoked it. After you smoke meat you can hang it off your front porch if you want to.
I have a charcoal grill and you can "smoke" meats in there, but I think the coals would be too close to the meat for it to be genuinely smoked. I don't think I could get it cool enough. I've heard the great big Green Egg...or whatever it is called...is awesome for that. Pricey though!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm willing to get him 2 front teeth for a Christmas gift.
At least hey will be able to bite into that turkey.Abd wish you a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-19-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Spike

can, hamburger, and run loins through tenderizer. Summer Sausage the left overs
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

3 hours in a crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of onion soup. It will be falling apart tender.

I also can deer meat and it is very soft/tender. Great stuff floured fried and served with a little gravy over egg noodles.

Mitch
Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

Two thoughts came to mind.

One is to have it made into bologna and pepper sticks and Kielbasa and sausage. You don't really need a lot of teeth to eat it that way.
You don't need a lot of cooking skills either to eat something that has already been cured / smoked etc.

Just saying that he looks disabled and doesn't have a lot of teeth doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to cook.

If you really wanted to make sure that he had some nice hot meals, you could cube the deer meat and cook it with vegetables and then cold pack it in Ball Mason Jars. Then all he would have to do is open the jars and eat it.

There is recopies on line that will explain how to cook it and do it and canning jars don't cost but about $10 a case of 12 where I live.

If you don't have a cold packer and canning supplies, it will probably cost you a one time investment of about $100 to buy everything that you will need to produce hundreds of jars of canned goods - down the road. Once you have canned deer meat - you will forget about putting it in the freezer.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone. I think I will try a bit of everything and see how it works out.

Mr. Deer Hunter - Trust me, I didn't give even half the picture of this guy, or the shack he lives in, etc. Anyway, you really dig canned venison that much? I can't wrap my head around that. I've never had it, but its like canned anything, never as good as fresh. Enlighten me...what do you like so much about it?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

soak it in a brine and then cook it in a slow cooker it will be so tender way to go Dude I do the same for others as well its great to hear about people helping others who cannot hunt for what ever reason I usually give away at least 1/2 my deer to people I know because they can stomach hunting or have certain reasons that prohibit them from hunting
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone. I think I will try a bit of everything and see how it works out.

Mr. Deer Hunter - Trust me, I didn't give even half the picture of this guy, or the shack he lives in, etc. Anyway, you really dig canned venison that much? I can't wrap my head around that. I've never had it, but its like canned anything, never as good as fresh. Enlighten me...what do you like so much about it?
Just imagine a piece of deer meat with the vegetables and juice inside of it. When you cut into the piece of meat - the color of the meat on the inside is the same as the juice in the jar. So if you put tomato juice - the meat is red, if you put beef broth it is brown.
When you put something hot inside of the jar and seal it up, it actually pulls a vacuum inside of the jar - it is like the best marinate in the world.

When I was a kid, I helped the neighbor kids deliver the Grit on Saturday mornings. The next town over from ours is where the people who were poor - but smart enough not to live in a mine town lived. There was a family there named Lesco. They lived in a tar paper shack with a coal cook stove and curtains on the window's and a big wooden porch across the front of their 2 room house. When you walked past, the smoke was always coming out of the chimney - summer and winter. Did I mention that they never opened the windows? They didn't want to let the heat out!

There was two old time alcoholic's that lived in the house and they wore long johns - summer and winter. I don't think they ever took them off. I don't know when they took a bath.
They drank ROMA wine and were usually plowed day or night. If you shot a groundhog, all you had to do was throw it on their porch. You didn't even have to skin it.
They would eat anything that you gave them.
Them boys had summer teeth. Summer over here and summer over there. The house was too poor to paint and too proud to whitewash. Tobacco road would have been a step up for these people. They lived beside a creek, and once a year the creek overflowed its banks. That was how they cleaned their house - they just let the water run through the front door and out the back.

Last edited by Mr. Deer Hunter; 09-22-2010 at 06:09 AM.