HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   deer and goats (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/330088-deer-goats.html)

sussexhunter 09-19-2010 10:41 AM

deer and goats

Just wondering if anybody has read or noticed similarities in relationship to deer and common farm goats(not very familiar with types of goats). Seems to me they share some anatomical features as well as behaviors. The basis of my question is from where I hunt. The farmer has cows and goats and I am wondering if maybe I would be smart to hunt in the pastures that hold the goats. The pastures are wooded and have water sources in them. Just pokin around for opinions or experience.

GreatHunterWannabe 09-19-2010 11:35 AM

I'm not sure deer would prefer a goat pasture over a cow pasture or not. Aren't goats kinda territorial?

sussexhunter 09-19-2010 12:30 PM

dont know just food for thought. maybe the goat bucks could do all the rattling for me.

Bfree 09-19-2010 12:37 PM

I hate the fact that people come on here and try to advertise their business or pawn off what they do on us. This is a sport/hobby for us hunters. There are several threads/post that have done this recently. Take for instance this idiot above, Willaim James, if I wanted to read about finance stuff or money management Id do it on their sites. LEAVE our sport alone. Sorry didnt mean to high jack the thread, just had to vent.

Kosherboy 09-19-2010 12:51 PM

Deer and goats don't get alone to well ,IMO

jerrrrstanley 09-19-2010 01:26 PM

I know of a guy who shot a goat once in southern WV. It was coming through the woods around dark and he lowered the boom on it. The owner wasn't too happy! But in his defense it looked alot like a deer! It was identical in color and it kept it's head down until he shot.

sussexhunter 09-19-2010 01:52 PM

Yeah id probably have to stay out of there late season if I dont do to well. Might be a couple goats missing. haha.

7.62NATO 09-19-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley (Post 3685271)
I know of a guy who shot a goat once in southern WV. It was coming through the woods around dark and he lowered the boom on it. The owner wasn't too happy! But in his defense it looked alot like a deer! It was identical in color and it kept it's head down until he shot.

As I understand it, goats and deer are "related". The first buck I ever saw in the woods, I thought was a goat! :)

PREDATE 09-20-2010 04:59 PM

My cousin told me a story about when the neighbors goat was makin' a bunch of noise(baaah,baaah) just before a fine buck emerged from the brush at about 10:00 AM. Maybe the territorial instinct!!!

zaboo 09-20-2010 06:57 PM

deer and goats are classified under the same speices